Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Corregidor Island Railway *LINK*

June 01, 2003 07:35AM
I've been reading a book on signficant WWII battles, including the siege of Corregidor. In the chapter mention was made in a couple of places about a railroad. This sent me scrambling to the Net to see what I could dig up. Indeed, I did find a neat site.
Corregidor had several miles of 36" gauge electric line which served not only the military needs, but also was a public transportation system uwing what looks like 4-wheel open side Birney cars. According to the map of the island, the line had hairpin turns, and switchbacks, and the line went from sea level to about 400' on 4% grades. Enough to set any NG fan's ears a twitching.
But alas, other than a photo or two of the Birney cars, there was no information on the type of freight motors used. And I'm sure there were passing sidings and car storage areas, but they don't show up on the map. The book makes mention that are dispatcher was used, so apparently it was a busy operation.
What I would like to ask is does anyone have a further source of information on this line? I'm going to keep digging. If a book hasn't been written on this subject, it would make a dandy project.
Thanks.
CJ
Subject Author Posted

Corregidor Island Railway *LINK*

Chile John Pritchard June 01, 2003 07:35AM

Re: Corregidor Island Railway

Brian Norden June 01, 2003 12:36PM

Corregidor's story is amazing in its self

Andy J June 01, 2003 01:24PM

Chile John Pritchard June 01, 2003 03:07PM

Brian Norden June 01, 2003 07:13PM

Chile John Pritchard June 02, 2003 06:47AM

Brian Norden June 02, 2003 09:42PM

Chile John Pritchard June 03, 2003 06:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.