Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Silverton RR Lines-town remains

February 15, 2003 09:05PM
I've been terrible at keeping up with this series of posts, so I'll delay no longer. This one covers the remains to be found in the area of the SN. Other posts will continue the descriptions.
Howardsville-a couple of cabins, ruins of the Silver Lake Mill and a few other structures.
Middleton-only some collapsed mine remains.
Animas Forks-probably the most interesting spot along the SN. Buildings left include the Walsh home, leaning, but apparently being cared for. Also a number of small shacks and cabins, plus the Columbus mine still standing.
Mineral Point-San Juan Chief Mill remains, with a lot of machinery left in place, including two boilers. Parts of the mine are still in good shape, others have collapsed to a great degree. Also nearby, the London mine is still visible, along with one of the buildings associated with it.
Eureka-not much of anything. I don't even think that the decrepit water tank is still standing. Can still see some faint mine remains.
Buffalo Boy-Tram house still standing, looks to be in decent shape with a number of items still inside. Cables still hanging. A partial cabin can be found below it, and also nearby, one can see a mine with tracks still in it, and some track outside.
Old Hundred-you can still go into the mine and see tram towers and cables with buckets still full of ore, and even more impressive is the seven story boardng house up on the hill. Good luck getting to it, it's way up there! Also nearby, one can see parts of the Hawkeye mine.
Niegoldstown-some collapsed mill ruins are about all you will see.
Highland Mary-a few collapsed mine remains. The scenery far outdoes the remains.
I'm sure this is incomplete and I hope all of you out there with first hand knowledge can help!
Subject Author Posted

Silverton RR Lines-town remains

Grant Houston February 15, 2003 09:05PM

Re: Silverton RR Lines-town remains

John Templeton February 17, 2003 08:46AM

Grant Houston February 17, 2003 10:29AM

sanjuangeol1947 February 17, 2003 05:37PM

A slight correction, Ted

Sam Bass February 17, 2003 07:45PM

Thanks to both of you!

Grant Houston February 17, 2003 08:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.