Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Todays Albuquerque Journal North

January 13, 2003 09:38AM
Copied from FRAD'S
Towns Pin Hopes on Scenic Railroad's Revival
By Gary E. Salazar Journal Staff Writer The 1880s-era Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad is the artery that feeds the economy for two towns on the New Mexico-Colorado border. For the past year, business owners in Chama and in Antonito, Colo., have been struggling. If the 64-mile narrow gauge line has another rough season, it could be devastating to the region. "The train is the only economy we have at this time," said Chama Mayor Archie Vigil. "The current situation the railroad is in is the worst I have ever seen. If it doesn't go this summer, we will die. It's our blood." For Chama, the railroad generates about $40 million in tourism revenue and accounts for more than half of the town's $600,000 annual budget, Vigil said. The railroad's biggest benefactors are Chama businesses. The first-year mayor estimates that about 95 percent of the businesses in the town of 1,500 rely on the railroad to survive. In Antonito, the railroad generates about $10 million in tourism revenue for the town of about 900, said town board member Rafael Gallegos. "The train is very important to our town," Gallegos said. "It helps us tremendously with the money it generates, but it also provides jobs. If the train closes, there goes those jobs." Vigil and Gallegos said their colleagues on the two town boards, as well as the business communities, are anxious about the future of the railroad and are hopeful the bistate commission that oversees it can meet federal requirements to get it going in May. Turning a corner On Saturday, the commission, which consists of Carl Turner and Steve Malnar of New Mexico and state Sen. Lew Entz and Carol Salisbury of Colorado, took a major step. It decided to enter into negotiations with Rio Grande Railway Preservation Corp. On Wednesday, the two sides will start to hammer out a contract that would result in the corporation operating the railroad this summer. The corporation has been operating the railroad for the past three years, but ended its contract with the commission in October because of a monthlong shutdown ordered by the U.S. National Forest Service. The corporation lost about $1.5 million when the railroad could not operate in June because of extreme fire danger in the Carson and Rio Grande national forests. Fnalizing a contract is a minor step in what the commission needs to accomplish for the railroad to operate this summer. The Federal Railroad Administration has ordered that the commission improve three locomotives and two portions of track before the line can operate. "Fixing the locomotives is our first priority," Turner said. Because of new federal regulations, each of the locomotives' boilers must be rebuilt to meet federal standards. The commission is counting on a $1.2 million federal grant to fund the work and is expecting the money to be available in the next two months. The commission must also improve two embankments of the line's track. Business owners in the two towns are hopeful the commission can meet the requirements by the opening of the season. For the past five years, Roger and Barbara Hogan have owned and operated the Hotel and Shops, which consists of 11 rooms and a gift shop. "Last year was a disaster," Barbara Hogan said. "It drained the resources of a lot of businesses. If the train does not run this summer, I don't know how many businesses will be able to hang on after what happened last year." The Hogans said they are optimistic that the commission will get the train going. "We are apprehensive but hopeful," Barbara Hogan said. Contingency plan D. Robert Smith, a jeweler who owns Gemtiques Gallery, is making plans in case the Chama railyard is quiet this summer. "I'm going to do four shows this summer," said Smith, whose office is across the street from the railyard. "I usually do not do any shows during the summer." Smith said most businesses in town cannot afford another year like the previous one. "If the train does not go, it would cap it," he said. About 60 miles north, Antonito business owners are also nervous. For the past eight years, Lorenzo Lujan has owned the Narrow Gauge Trading Post. "Last year, was real bad for me," he said. "My business is dependent on the train." Business was hurt so bad, Lujan is now the business' only employee. "I'm holding on," he said. "If the train does not go, I will close up." Leo Armenta, who owns Stefan's Cafe, said last year's shutdown cut business by more than 25 percent. "I had to lay off three people," he said. "It's sad." Whether the commission can get the locomotives up to federal standards will depend on railroad's shop crew, which consists of nine workers in Chama and five in Antonito. Mark Yates, supervisor of the Chama shop, said the 14 employees combined have more than 150 years of experience with steam-powered trains. "We don't need to talk about the importance of the train," he said. "It's something that is understood."
................................aatrainsignature.gif
Subject Author Posted

Todays Albuquerque Journal North

roger hogan January 13, 2003 09:38AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.