Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1930's Colorado & Maine NG FILM

December 20, 2002 03:56PM
Several years ago, when starting my research on the Uintah Railway I cam across a low quality video tape of soem Uintah footage, surrounded by several other "shots" of RGS, D&RG, C&S & other RR stuff. I was not really interested in the rest at the time, but lately been thinking about what else was shown on the tape. I got a hold of the tape again today, from the older gentleman who owns it. I would love to find out more about it, its origins, and surely someone else has seen this footage before? This gentleman got it, "bootleg" from another person in the late 1980's, it seems that the oiginal tape was done on film, like they used to show on the film projectors at school, and then he video taped it off of that, so the quality is poor. The film is titled "NOT SO LONG AGO" and was from the "Adolph Coors Company", produced by Pade- NEAL PRODUCTION of Denver,a nd photographs by "E.K. Edwards". This editied film was done, best I can tell in the late 1970's, using film fromt eh late 1920's and early 1930's. Does anyone know where in Colorado that there would be a archive of any kind of old film footage? This stuff all seems to be from the same time period, but I can not say that it is all from the same photographer. The following is a scene by scene overview of the tape, if you have seen any of this stuff, or have any leeds, please give your best guess.
Opens with uintah footage, close up, near the track as an articulated engine and flatcars go past Morro Castle. ( this footage seems to be the same as that in the Iron horse production of two years ago, Uintah Railway, done in 1929 by Luciuos Sprague, General manager of the RR)
Uintah footage of train on slide area.
Articulated locomotive coming out of Thimble Rock, cold day, as lots of steam coming from every area of the loco.
- rotory plow followed by three or four engines, anouncer credited to the D&RG on Cumbres Pass between "Antinito and Durango" in the late 1920's- "88 days" the RR was closed down.
Several film footage short shots of Rotory in action, blowing snow, mountais in background, passing a depot, right of way buildings and a water tower, men shoveling by hand, locomotives with front mounted plows "raming" deep snow, a large hoist shovel takng out snow.
Mule train near "Camp Bird" mine - looks like Telluride area.
Opening ceremonies at Moffat Tunnel in "1928" with engine #205, governor pounding spikes, train entering tunnel, last passenber car in train entering tunnel.
Denver Street Cars downtown, looks like early 1930's by the cars shown.
John Phillip Souza leading an outside orchestra / band.
Spirit of St. Louis - Lindberg - flying in to denver.
Tourist busses on estes park.
Early Skiing on Berthoud pass, 1933.
Pikes Peak Hill Climb race - OLD OLD Race cars
Uintah railcar #52 , still photo.
Depot at Mack, colorado.
Combination car #50 at Mack depot.
Uintah boxcars setting next to the Std. Guage stuff in the Uintah Yards.
Locomotive $50 backing out of single stall engine house nder the steel wate tank at mack, then doing a bunch of water car switching.
"2ft. Bridgton & Harrison"
small, looks like Mason Bogie style engine, 0-4-4 or 2-4-4 engine #8 with "B&HR" on the side, switching, then pulling two passenger cars and two open gondolas with seats in them around, then on a turntable. Caption at one point said the above RR, met up with the main Central.
Colorado & Southern C&S engine #70 in what looks like Denver yards, doing switching on three rail track of narrow guage boxcars, parked next to Std. guage stuff. Same engine then takes 3 boxcars and a four wheel cabosse out of the yards. Looks like a large BURLINGTON ROUTE LOGO on the side, but ist goes by to fast to tell. Several shots of this same train at variuos points ont he right of way in clear creek canyon.
words "AGFA 1939" ina still shot for several moments?????
So, any answers, any leads???? Where did this footage come from? When Adolph Coors Company put this stuff together in the 1970's what happened to the other stuff that they did not include? Why was this film made, and for whom? any leeds please.
Subject Author Posted

1930's Colorado & Maine NG FILM

Rodger Polley December 20, 2002 03:56PM

Re: 1930's Colorado & Maine NG FILM

Jerry Day December 20, 2002 06:27PM

Jerry Day December 20, 2002 06:33PM

Rodger Polley December 20, 2002 11:39PM

Jerry Day December 21, 2002 07:26AM

Jerry Day December 20, 2002 06:35PM

Dorman's Chili Line footage .

El Coke December 20, 2002 10:50PM

Re: Dorman's Chili Line footage .

Gavin Hamilton December 21, 2002 02:08PM

Re: Dorman's Chili Line footage .

Paul Pickard December 22, 2002 07:54AM

Chili line abandoned by Al Pearman 1941 . *NM*

PRSL December 22, 2002 10:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.