Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bala de Plata

December 20, 2012 10:26PM avatar
FESbananacongringos802.jpg

When I originally posted this picture some years ago both on my website and on railpix, I described it as a "Galloping Banana", a tongue in cheek name (with apologies to the RGS) a few of us adopted when we saw these cars on the Ferrocarril de El Salvador back in the 70's.

I recently got the following email from El Salvador:

"Re: Photo [www.railpictures.net]

"In one of the pictures you showed a car that you called 'Banana' that was not the real name, the real name was 'Bala de Plata' 'Silver Bullet'
My father was the chief mechanic of the railroad garage, he used to give maintenance of all the vehicles of the 'Ferrocarriles Del Salvador' 'FES' back in the late sixties, and the balas de plata used to have Mercury V-8 engines.I have an old picture of my dad leaning outside in the front bumper of one of those cars.I would love to share that picture .Thank you.

"Willie Iraheta"

I am more than happy to make this correction to the caption of the picture. One of the great things about posting pix is occasionally hearing from folks who have a personal connection with the machines pictured. After all, machines are machines and it is the people connected to them who are really important.

JBWX
Subject Author Posted

Bala de Plata Attachments

John West December 20, 2012 10:26PM

Re: Bala de Plata

Tom Moungovan December 21, 2012 07:30AM

Youth

John West December 21, 2012 12:15PM

Tower Operator December 21, 2012 03:52PM

South Park December 21, 2012 08:04AM

rehunn December 21, 2012 09:54AM

Merry Christmas Rich.... Attachments

John West December 21, 2012 03:38PM

Re: Merry Christmas Rich....

rehunn December 21, 2012 04:33PM

South Park December 23, 2012 08:50AM

rehunn December 23, 2012 05:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login