Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

F&CC #65 Restoration

August 08, 2002 02:33PM
I've had a number of people inquire about the status of the restoration of the Florence and Cripple Creek suburban coach #65 located at Stuhr Museum in Grand Island NE.
In a nut shell:
The carbody has been stripped down to the frame which exposed major rot in everything below the letter board. The right side is the worst with most of the side sill replaced with 2x's in a previous restoration. The left side is far morte solid but the rot does have a strong hold in some important areas.
The new frame is being dry fit right side up, the end beams are currently being fitted, to allow the locations for the attachments to be layed out and marked The bolters will be moved towards the center of the car by eight inches to accomidate the trucks obtained for the car.
After the layout is complete the frame will be dissassembled and reassembled up side down with the bolsters. All of the truss rods, platforms, brakes, and other running gear will be installed in this position to use gravity to it's best effect. Once complete from the floor down it will be inverted and work will continue from the floor up.
For those of your not familiar with the car it was stripped of it's trucks, platforms and running gear and used as a shed. When it was returned to the rails a steel frame was constructed usind DRGW freight trucks to carry it. The car will return as a wood framed car ridding on passenger car trucks.
Trucks obtained from the WP&Y are being rebuilt with new wood and hardware. otherwise the steel parts are in good condition. Currently the the new wood is being layed out and readyed for cutting.
Another major part in the restoration is reproduction of the Janney passenger coupler of the car. Since we are working to return our railroad to service it was decided that making the investment in patterns was worthwile to equip the museumes passenger cars with new couplers and to have spare consumables on hand. These patterns are nearing completion and we should have foundry estimates shortly.
I know that a picture is worth a thousand words and I do intend to have some posted on the Museum's website soon. However, that is beyond my computer skills and I havn't been able to connect with our webmaster yet.
When pics make it on the website I will post a notice. Also if anyone has interest in new Janny coupler please send me an email.
Thank you for your interest in the project.
Paul Dalleska
Subject Author Posted

F&CC #65 Restoration

Paul D August 08, 2002 02:33PM

Re: F&CC #65 Restoration

Brian Norden August 08, 2002 07:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.