Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ward Kimball

July 08, 2002 09:02PM
I received sad news this afternoon that Ward Kimball passed away about 10 am. at, I believe, 87 years young. On Saturday he apparently suffered something like what seemed to be a stroke, but he was able to hang at the hospital until today. I will miss Ward. He was a kind and generous person who always shared his treasured collection of railroad items with those who came by. He was one of the original men to see that the narrow gauge locomotives were artifacts to be preserved when all others were cutting them up. His collection and the Grizzly Flats Railroad became known around the nation and the world. Indeed, he was a mentor to me in many ways with Eureka, giving me the confidence that a guy in his own backyard can really restore a locomotive back to operation.
Many years ago, Ward told me while sitting in the cab of Eureka, that it was his first locomotive of choice, but he could not afford what they were asking for it in the middle of the depression, so he got the Nevada Central locomotive instead. I think in the end, it has worked out well for both locomotives, as they have had secure homes, and have been saved from bleak and final end. Instead, because of Ward, and the inspiration he gave me, there are two narrow gauge locomotives from the heyday of railroading that will be around for generations to come.
Ward was also a man of extraordinary talent, having illustrated some of the memorable Disney animated classics that we have all seen in our younger years. Both Ward and Walt were the patriarchs of preservation when no one else gave a hoot about it. Ward worked with the original artifacts while Walt recreated them. When Chad O'Conner built the replicas of the Jupiter and 119, Ward contributed his artistic talents to making those locomotives look great.
For those of you who never met Ward, I wish you could have. He was truly an original. Those of us who did know him understand what I mean. There is no one else like him.
I think Ward would like his life to be remembered in the words of the old ballad:
Life is like a mountain railway,
with an engineer who is brave.
We must make the run successful,
from the cradle to the grave.
I do not think there is anywone who would disagree that Ward made the run successful, from beginning to end, and along the way gave us enormous joy, pleasure and uncommon humor.
Goodbye fellow railroader. Thanks for a wonderful trip.
Subject Author Posted

Ward Kimball

Dan Markoff July 08, 2002 09:02PM

Re: Ward Kimball

Dave S. July 08, 2002 09:22PM

Herb Kelsey July 08, 2002 09:31PM

Brian Norden July 08, 2002 10:21PM

Chris Callaway July 08, 2002 09:36PM

Ahmen, Dan. He will be missed

David Dewey July 09, 2002 01:08AM

Ward Kimball

Bob Keller July 09, 2002 01:20AM

C W Craven July 09, 2002 07:32PM

Tribute to Ward Kimball

Phil Reader July 09, 2002 10:50PM

Grant Houston July 10, 2002 09:52PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.