Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If you have'nt done it. Why not?

Paul H
June 25, 2002 11:43PM
Please note: This has been revised to reflect that the closure by the US Government is because of "threat of fire". Please keep forwarding to as many as possible. It's not a literary achievement, (just a compilation) but at least it's something. Thanks to all who contributed.
PH
URGENT:
The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad is on the verge of bankruptcy from being shut down by the forest service due to the threat of fire. Your help is needed to call on the legislators to respond and save this historic railroad. Yes we can help even if we do not live in Colorado or New Mexico. All I ask is that you E-mail them; go to links or E-mail addresses and copy the form letter. Copy, paste, sign and send, it’s as simple as that. Please note that some sites already have places to fill out who you are. If not, it is important that you give your name, address, state and zip so you will be taken seriously and be counted. The Governors offices would be an excellent start. Please take a little bit of time now and help in this tangible way. They are in trouble and this little bit could help the Cumbres get federal disaster funding or what it needs to stay afloat. Thanks, Paul
Contact the governors or any or all of the following:
COLORADO:
Governor Bill Owens 303-866-2471
FAX 303-866-2003
governorowens@state.co.us
Senator Wayne Allard 202-224-5941
[allard.senate.gov]
Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell 202-224-5852
[www.senate.gov]
NEW MEXICO:
Governor Gary E. Johnson 505-827-3000
[www.governor.state.nm.us]
Sen. Pete Domenici 202-224-6621
enator_domenici@domenici.senate.gov">Senator_domenici@domenici.senate.gov
Sen. Jeff Bingaman 202-224-5521
senator_bingaman@bingaman.senate.gov
Rep. Tom Udall 202-225-6190
Tom.udall@mail.house.gov
Rep. Heather Wilson 202-225-6316
Ask.heather@mail.house.gov
Rep. Joe Skeen 202-225-2365
Joe.skeen@mail.house.gov
Dear Sir,
I am writing to ask your help in saving the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad, a historic national treasure in rural Colorado and New Mexico. The recent closure of the railroad by the USFS because of “threat of fire”, not actual fire, has caused serious economic damage to the surrounding communities.
I ask that you would please take steps necessary to reopen the railroad and assist in the recovery of it and towns that it serves. It is a governmental edict that is killing the towns - not carelessness on the part of the RR - and therefore I am calling on the government to be responsible and make amends.
I understand that both Colorado and New Mexico’s interests are at stake here. This railroad is an economic lifeline, providing local jobs through tourism and direct employment in this region. The C&T is a treasure, but without your help it could shut down forever. That would be a tragedy for the local economy and for the people who depend on steam engines climbing the San Juans for their livelihoods. It would also be a tragedy for people from all over the US who come to visit this wonderful historic place year after year.
Federal disaster funding might help. Please act quickly, as the situation gets worse with each passing day. Thank You.
Subject Author Posted

If you have'nt done it. Why not?

Paul H June 25, 2002 11:43PM

Re: If you have'nt done it. Why not?

Jeffrey Stebbins June 26, 2002 08:08AM

Dave Bates June 26, 2002 09:05AM

Letters sent! *NM*

Steven H June 26, 2002 08:28AM

Mine are sent *NM*

Kevin Cook June 26, 2002 09:02AM

Bill Calmes June 26, 2002 01:55PM

Re: A Plan?

Paul H June 28, 2002 12:47AM

Letters Sent From A Flatlander! *NM*

Will Gleckler June 30, 2002 07:00AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.