Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Food for thought!

May 23, 2002 07:52AM
I don't mean to second guess anyone at the C&TS, but I thought I might make some suggestions for what it is worth. Maybe something will be useful.
I am guessing that the reason no trips were planned out of Antonito was that engine servicing was a consideration, as well as the fact that perhaps they could run two trains from Chama, and therefore garnish a little more revenue than by running short trains from Antonito. The logic being the railroad would make a few more dollars and have all the locos near the shop. Again this is my assesment, but it really doesn't matter.
Regarding Antonito trips, I remember 1971 trips, and they ran chimney first from Antonito to Big Horn, where the engine was turned, and the train proceeded to Sublette. This portion was tender first from Big Horn to Sublette. There the engine took water, and folks were able to detrain, before heading back to Antonito. At the same time trips were running out of Chama to Cumbres and back. I remember riding one of them.
Here are some options besides the above
(1) Turn at Big Horn, and tender-first to Toltec Siding. Run around train and chimney first to Antonito. This gives the riders a bit more scenery, and if its the only trip of the day, its a little longer.
(2) Antonito-Big Horn, turn, back to Sublette. Same as in 1971. In 1971 they ran this in the morning and in the afternoon(2 trips per day)
(3) Turn at Big Horn, chimney first all the way to Toltec, then Tender-first to Big Horn, turn for run to Antonitio. (1 trip per day)
(4) If tender-first operation is forbidden for some reason, then take train to Big Horn, let everyone off there, for lunch. Engine turns, and backs to Sublette(light engine), to take water and service if needed. Then back to Big Horn to collect passengers. (could be two trips a day)
(5) If light engine backing is not possible, then Big Horn is the only option for turning.
(could be two trips per day)
Note: I suggest considering a photo runby or two on these shorter trips. Most folks will enjoy it as a bonus, and getting out in the scenery is always fun. Play up Whiplash curve between Lava and Big Horn, and maybe do a runby there. Its a very unique location on the C&TS and doesn't get that much attention. Do the runby and lunch if only 1 trip is made per day. This will make the trip seem longer, and more things to do. Also if you could get to Sublette a tour of the town would be nice.
Note 2: I keep hearing the Antonito trains will be able to reach Osier before Chama trains, but if the engines can't be run tender-first this seems to be a mute point, as there is no way to turn engines at Osier either, unless that loop was miraculously put in service over the winter.
My opinion, not knowing the thinking of the C&TS is that something out of Antonito is probably a good thing. If water is a problem get the fire department to set something up in town. Also a water car could be used with 463 if Sublette is dry.
This is not meant to be speculation or second-guessing, just some constructive ideas.
Good luck.
Greg Scholl
PS...When was that spot named "Martinez Point". I never heard that until this incident.
Subject Author Posted

Food for thought!

Greg Scholl May 23, 2002 07:52AM

Re: If you want to know...

jaybawb May 23, 2002 08:48AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.