Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some musings on Thomas the Tank Engine

Dave Peterson
April 11, 2002 09:17AM
I played hookey from my job yesterday and took my 5 year old nephew up to Sacramento to ride Thomas who's appearing there through this weekend. I've heard plenty of gnashing of teeth when this caricature of a steam locomotive is mentioned but had not seen the event in person until yesterday.
The Thomas used was a non-powered version and the train was the normal Sacramento Southern excursion train pulled by WP #913 with Thomas on the back (front on the return trip) The train was nine cars long had two extra cars added from the Yolo Short Line. Thomas ran every 45 minutes from around 10 am until about 5 pm. Each train was sold out. I would estimate that about 10,000 kids with parents were there yesterday.
the CSRRM had the Bowker on display outside so kids could get there photo taken in a locomotive. They also had the Mattole Lumber #1 and Kiso Forest #1 on display with the Mattole locomotive steamed up and running on a short segment of 3 foot track.
In the car shed were set up various activities related to Thomas such as coloring, drawing, ink stamps, play railroads, etc. for kids to play with. There was a hand car that kids could operate with their parents.
UP had represenatives of Operation Lifesaver there and two Locomotive simulators that kids could run.
Inside the Museum the cab of the Cab Forward was opened to visitors and a docent explained how steam locomotives were used.
A large tented pavilion was set up in the middle of all of this to sell plentiful Thomas merchandise.
While the majority of kids were outside around the area of Thomas there was a constant stream of kids with parents in tow inside the museum. The biggest hits seemed to be operating Thomas layouts, the hand car ride, and the locomotive tours. My nephew was on cloud nine the whole time and the biggest hit for him was'nt Thomas but operating the UP locomotive simulators, we had to do this twice. He now really want to have a model railroad (not Thomas play trains) and is begging me to help him build an HO scale layout (which I told him we could do this fall).
While many may look down their noses at this phenomenon I'd say it's probably the best thing that's happened in years to our hobby and passion. How many other kids feel like my nephew and now want more active involvement with trains?
As a narrow gauge Thomas is planned to be built I feel it would be a positive move to try to get this to show up a Chama sometime in the future. Although Chama is remote I overheard parents who had come from San Francisco and the south bay and had taken over two hours to get to Sacramento.
That's my $0.02 worth. now I'll get of my soapbox and you can get the rotten tomatoes...
Subject Author Posted

Some musings on Thomas the Tank Engine

Dave Peterson April 11, 2002 09:17AM

Re: Some musings on Thomas the Tank Engine

Mik April 11, 2002 10:36AM

Fred T April 11, 2002 12:11PM

Re:Once more

Jay Wimer April 11, 2002 01:24PM

Earl Pitts April 11, 2002 03:16PM

Re:Once more *PIC*

Jay Wimer April 11, 2002 05:24PM

Mik April 11, 2002 07:02PM

Perhaps

another outsider April 11, 2002 07:44PM

Martin Dickson April 11, 2002 03:50PM

O.Anderson April 11, 2002 08:29PM

Savery April 17, 2002 08:20AM

Sent your post to your Boss

Kevin Cook April 11, 2002 10:39AM

Re: Some musings on Thomas at Roaring camp too

Paul Hollidge April 11, 2002 10:58PM

Re: Thomas at Roaring Camp too

Tom Shreve April 14, 2002 09:36PM

Dick April 15, 2002 08:12AM

Yes there are some...

Kevin Cook April 15, 2002 09:50AM

Gordon Reynolds April 15, 2002 10:46AM

Mik April 15, 2002 02:27PM

Mik April 15, 2002 02:41PM

Thanks to all for the info! *NM*

Dick April 16, 2002 08:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.