Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guatemala and El Salvador

January 07, 2011 01:45PM avatar
For those interested in this sort of thing, I have recently updated my Guatemala and El Salvador albums with a bunch of black and white prints done with my new negative scanner.

The El Salvador album might be of particular interest because most of the pictures are of the Ferrocarril de El Salvador, which was a rolling museum of 19th century railroading, including mostly link and pin couplers. I had seen pictures of the long pilot links on the front of locomotives, but this is the first time I ever actually saw one, and in service no less.

The Guatemala (IRCA/Fegua) album is of interest to me because in many ways IRCA was similar to the DRGW ng., a mountain narrow gauge railway. But there are also some interesting contrasts, like the large relatively modern (circa 1930) steam shops in Guatemala City compared to the ancient (circa 1890) shops at Alamosa. And the IRCA had a LOT of big bridges that make Lobato look quite modest. Unlike the DRGW which was trying to get rid if its ng. since sometime in the 30's, the IRCA was modernizing up until the 1960's. In a way the IRCA is a vision of what the DRGW ng. might have looked like if had been updated.

The Guatemala album is HERE.

The El Salvador album is HERE.

JBWX

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2011 01:53PM by John West.
Subject Author Posted

Guatemala and El Salvador

John West January 07, 2011 01:45PM

Re: Guatemala and El Salvador

jim pallow January 07, 2011 04:03PM

SMITTY January 07, 2011 08:15PM

myork January 08, 2011 06:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login