Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crosby Steam Whistle For Sale

October 24, 2010 04:59PM
Once in awhile, I have seen railroad artifacts offered for sale on this board. If there are no objections from Don, I would like to offer a 6" 3 chime Crosby whistle for sale. It is surplus to my needs.
Among whistle collecters, the Crosby is highly prized as they are considered to be acoustically superior. This one is 6" in diameter and flat topped, having 3 chambers with lengths of approx. 7.5", 10.25" and 12.5 ". This is common for a 6" diameter chime. The bell, bowl and finial (acorn nut) are bronze. The whistle was constructed WIV (with internal valve) and it is functional. Appears to have a fairly new lever.
This particular whistle has some history as it was mounted on Grand Canyon Ry. 2-8-2 4960 for about 2 months during the 2000 steam season.
My other 6" chime, a Hancock, was on 2-8-0 18 then.
This whistle is in especially good condition with no bullet holes or dings in the bell. There are a couple of minor waves in the bell, but not very visible. No recent wrench marks on the hex. The Crosby
imprinting is barely visible just below the rim of the bowl, no doubt due to numerous polishings. The 1877 patent date can be seen.
5" & 6" diameter whistles were commonly used on both standard and narrow gauge steam locomotives and this one should make itself heard quite well if used on one.
I would like $1,600.00 for it. Shipping to be discussed between potential buyer and myself...I'd be willing to deliver it a reasonable distance if you'd go the same. While I have shipped a couple of these over the years via USPS, I'd prefer doing this in person.
Interested parties may contact me @ mongo5@msn.com
Subject Author Posted

Crosby Steam Whistle For Sale

Tom Moungovan October 24, 2010 04:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login