Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Few Shots From The Sumpter Valley

May 07, 2023 01:36PM avatar
Jane and I booked a cabin in Sumpter for SVRR's Safety Weekend. Since I don't participate on the crew anymore, this was mainly a weekend to take care of about 10 archive / book collection and new archive bld. tasks along with renewing old acquaintances. Unfortunately I came down with respirator crud Fri. morning so if anyone who saw me on site wonders why I was unsocial, be glad for me not sharing a virus with you. I did manage to take care of most of my tasks with us returning home Sat. afternoon. I had an email conversation recently about the old tender tank in the first two photos. This was obtained on perpetual loan from the USFS Long Creek Ranger Dist. many years ago. It is presently hidden in the weeds at SVRR's McEwan yard, so I bet a lot of volunteers have never noticed it. Sadly, this old tender tank had been cannibalized for sheet metal before we got it. A close examination reveals that the fuel space had been plated over with riveted metal to increase the capacity. The Sumpter Valley Ry. had a water car at one time as #8 on the roster, made from a tender. A very reasonable guess would be that this water car tender had been the tender from engine #8. This could be that tank as the dimension are fairly close. The next photo is the interior of our new SVRR Archive building. The room behind the partition wall will be the actual primary archive material storage area. At this time, we do not have funds to complete the building, so are seeking grants and donations to do so. In the next shot with telephoto I caught some of the Safety Weekend participants out with the #720 for training. And lastly, someone asked a while back if I had a photo of the remains of dredge #1 in the pond north of the McEwen depot, so here it is.
DSCN1701 - Copy.JPG
DSCN1702 - Copy.JPG
DSCN1706 - Copy.JPG
DSCN1708.JPG
DSCN1709 - Copy.JPG
Subject Author Posted

A Few Shots From The Sumpter Valley Attachments

J.B.Bane May 07, 2023 01:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login