Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NNG: Searching NGDF with a "button app"

February 10, 2023 08:16PM avatar
If you are a NGDF regular, you may already know that the Search feature built into the NGDF forum has some limitations. It has difficulty with certain 'common' words, and also with number sequences.

Various members have previously posted about work-arounds using Google (but limited to just NGDF) with syntax similar to this (perhaps we want to find messages with #278):

site:ngdiscussion.net #278
-or-
#278 site:ngdiscussion.net

Either of those work fairly well, but you have to remember the syntax, and then type it accurately. eye rolling smiley

Well, I was looking for something else, and stumbled on a "button" that will handle the typing needed (and do it accurately, every time.)

I'm referring to a Google Chrome [browser] 'extension', see the details here:
[chrome.google.com]

Most people using that extension are likely to be using the Chrome browser, BUT Chrome extensions can also work with certain other browsers as well. For instance, I'm a fairly new user of the Vivaldi browser, and that extension (and other Chrome extensions) also work in Vivaldi.

After you have the extension installed, there will be a button in your toolbar. To use that extension just have your 'focus' on a NGDF page, click the button (looks like a magnifying glass) and a search window pops up, similar to this screenshot:

SearchScreenshot from 2023-02-10 21-57-39.jpg

Note the [new] search box in the upper right, overlaying the green NGDF header. Just type in your search term (numbers work OK) and press Enter or click the button. The results returned are limited to just the NGDF, and no typing involved (other than your search term).

smiling smiley

(That extension works with the window that has current "focus" (the window that you last clicked on), so if you expect it to work with NGDF, make sure that NGDF window is the last one you clicked in. Or, you can use it with other sites by giving that other window 'focus'.)
(

- Graham

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2023 08:17PM by Rader Sidetrack.
Subject Author Posted

NNG: Searching NGDF with a "button app" Attachments

Rader Sidetrack February 10, 2023 08:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login