Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sumpter Valley S Curve Water Tank #1

August 17, 2010 09:06PM avatar
Many will assume I am referring to S Wye water tank but no, near MP 53 on the SVRy which is between Tipton MP50.5 and White Pine MP 54.5 are the foundation piers of a water tank. It is shown on the ICC Valuation materials and on the ROW plat maps. No name is given to the tank on these maps. In researching this I found on fuel reports which list wood fuel used at the various points where it was staged along the line "S Curve". On the fuel reports this is between White Pine and Tipton. As wood was usually staged at the water tanks I conclude this water tank location was known as "S Curve" On the ICC reports it is listed at 12' diameter by 12' high. The concrete piers were 24" square at the bottom 48" tall and 12" square at the top with wood posts 7 1/2' tall. The tank was supplied by 1636' of 3" wood stave pipe from a Spring along Crawford Crk. It presumably was taken out of service sometime between 1916 and 1936 which is the first year I have access to AFE's. No retirement AFE's exist for it from 1936 forward. As the rr's small early motive power disappeared from the roster probaby this smallish intermediate water tank was not needed. I have not seen any photos of this tank. I am attaching photos taken July 2010 of this area along with some maps in this and following posts.
Copy of DSCN0249.jpg
Copy of DSCN0251.jpg
Copy of DSCN0252.jpg
Copy of DSCN0254.jpg
Copy of DSCN0246.jpg
Subject Author Posted

Sumpter Valley S Curve Water Tank #1 Attachments

J.B.Bane August 17, 2010 09:06PM

Re: Sumpter Valley S Curve Water Tank #2 Attachments

J.B.Bane August 17, 2010 09:09PM

Re: Sumpter Valley S Curve Water Tank #3 Attachments

J.B.Bane August 17, 2010 09:19PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login