Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This week at Knott's

August 11, 2010 02:39PM avatar
Well it been awhile since I’ve done an update about the going ons here at Knott’s. I know some of you have been waiting for me to write an update. So I thought I better get to it before I head to Durango next week.(Hope to see some of you there)

Summer hours are still in full swing, at least for about another month. I’ve been on closings most of the summer. The shop crew is making progress on the 310. The new siding has been put in replacing the bad sections, the roof is now all black, and the outside clerestory wall is GREEN. Moving to the inside the new clerestory windows are in, next will be the bathroom windows. I don’t think I mentioned this last time but the trucks are done and back under the car.

The shop crew spent about a week cleaning house in the car barn. They moved most of the shelves and stuff out of the shop and into the boxcar. Then built new shelves in the car barn that don’t take up as much space. This also provided a chance to bring the boxcar to the shop to look her over and assess what needs to be repaired. The basic plan is to replace the bad wood and siding, and repaint the car.
Also recently they have replaced one bad wheel set on our stock car 9519. (It had a flat spot) We used an old axle and had two brand new wheels pressed on. Now the car rolls smooth.

Now the shop crew has been working hard on the afore mentioned as well as rotating the locos in and out for their needs. For instance 340 went back out yesterday after being in all week for fire brick work. Early on this summer 340 went in for tender sheet metal work. Matt replaced the tender flare on the engineer’s side. It was very rusty in some places and had been patched before. So just like they did in the days of the Grande the flare was to rusted out, and needed to be replaced. Both locos have had their share of runtime this summer but 340 has been out a little more this year.

Now the pics.
Here is the new siding on the 310.
Photobucket

Here you can see the black and green roof.
Photobucket

These are the clerestory window frames before they were installed.
Photobucket

Here is one of the completed trucks.
Photobucket

Here is the boxcar outside the shop, after being loaded with stuff from the carbarn.
Photobucket

and last is a shot of the completed and painted flare on 340's tender. Looks pretty good!
Photobucket

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2010 01:32PM by Jeff Taylor.
Subject Author Posted

This week at Knott's

Jeff Taylor August 11, 2010 02:39PM

Re: This week at Knott's

John Cole August 11, 2010 02:47PM

guymonmd August 11, 2010 02:58PM

Jon Bentz August 12, 2010 01:04PM

Joe Taylor August 13, 2010 09:33AM

Herb Kelsey August 14, 2010 02:01AM

TUnfried August 14, 2010 12:55PM

Herb Kelsey August 15, 2010 12:20AM

John Cole August 15, 2010 05:37AM

Jeff Taylor August 16, 2010 01:44AM

Larry Spencer August 16, 2010 08:14PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login