Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Art Gibson

June 08, 2022 11:23AM
I just learned this morning, that a good friend, Art Gibson, passed on 6/4. I had known Art for many years through Santa Fe groups then later found another connection here as the “Clear Creek Kid”.

His father was at first with the C&S and several pictures of him, as a kid, have appeared in several books documenting motive power and other notable areas with the road in Colorado. His father moved to the ATSF and finished a long career in the Santa Fe offices in Topeka.

Art was a very accomplished amateur photographer, gaining many credits with his works published in many venues.

By chance, I later discovered that he and my mother-in-law had gone to school together and been long time friends. They shared a love for music and both played the Baritone, positioned next to each other in band through High School Graduation.

I few years ago, he summoned me to his house, because he (and his wife) was relocating to Wichita to be near his daughter. His health had been failing for years and was in slow decline. This was one of many visits I had with Art, but this first time being summoned. I received a few of his personal railroad items and he told me about the distribution of his very large collection to various sources where they would be displayed, preserved and be able to be viewed by many enthusiasts.

A memorial service is planned to take place this Sunday, 6/12, at noon at the transportation museum in Wichita.

RIP my cherished friend!

Phil Dittmer
Subject Author Posted

Art Gibson

pd3463 June 08, 2022 11:23AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login