Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Denver Railroad & Land Company/Colorado Eastern Porter 2-6-0

September 07, 2021 11:25PM
I'm trying to find more information about this locomotive. It was ordered by the Denver Railroad & Land Company, which owned the infamous Colorado Eastern railroad that utilized the ex D&RG 2-4-0 #6 "Ute".

From what I know about this locomotive:

2-6-0 Coal Burning
Straight Stack
9x14 Cylinders
Named "Scranton"
Porter Builders Number 791
Built 10/1886
Off the line by 1889 when coal shipments to the Grant Smelter had stopped (The line continued until 1915)

The size of the cylinders was very small, especially for a Porter, and the Colorado Eastern RR was laid with 14lb rail, which is extremely light rail, like rail you would order for a small mine with 18" gauge track, so I'm guessing this locomotive was 15-20 tons (the 2-4-0 was 12.5 tons)

Supposedly it went to the Denver, Utah & Pacific as their #9 in 1889. The DU&P was standard gauged in 1890, and there is an undated picture of a Porter 2-6-0 on the line in "Railroads of Northern Colorado" but from the pictures it looks like it is larger and was a bit bigger. From there it went to Ritchie Mineral Resin & Oil of West Virginia as their #4, and was then sold to the Cairo & Kanawha Railroad before being returned to Porter in 1905 and scrapped.

Does anyone know if there is any publications on the Cairo & Kanawha that may include a photograph of this locomotive? All I've been able to find is info on their Climax locomotives and that is it. Thanks
Subject Author Posted

Denver Railroad & Land Company/Colorado Eastern Porter 2-6-0

wishiwasincolorado September 07, 2021 11:25PM

Re: Denver Railroad & Land Company/Colorado Eastern Porter 2-6-0 Attachments

bcp September 08, 2021 12:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login