Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

40 Years ago tomorrow, August 1, 1981

July 31, 2021 05:15PM avatar
Forty years ago, during the first year of the new Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, hopes were high, along with the expectations of the new owner of the Silverton Branch, Charles Bradshaw. The 3 ex DRGW K-28’s (473, 476 and 478) had ruled as the main power on this branch for over 2o years, but that was all about to change. In anticipation of more frequent and longer trains to Silverton, Mr. Bradshaw ordered that ex DRGW K-36 Class, No. 481 be returned to service as soon as possible….if not sooner! No. 481 had been one of the last locomotives shopped by the DRGW in Alamosa prior the abandonment of the narrow gauge freight line between Durango and Alamosa. After careful removal of the main rods, which were placed on each running board, the locomotive was hauled “dead in tow”, from Alamosa to Durango on the very last westbound train in 1968. It was spotted in the west end of the old roundhouse until that was torn down and eventually located on a track near the old sand house. Even though No. 481 was stored “serviceable”, over time, the locomotive was cannibalized for any parts or components that could be used to keep the K-28’s operable. This included many of the appliances (air pump. Lubricators, etc.) along with the majority of the tender trucks, including wheels, journal boxes, and brass.

As a brand new shop employee of the new Durango & Silverton, I was assigned as an engine watchman, laborer, and mechanics helper, and occasional fireman. With the order by senior management sometime in late June to get No. 481 out, it was all hands on deck to make it happen. It was quite the chore as we also had to maintain the other three operating locomotives at the same time, in a very small roundhouse with limited space. Mr. Bradshaw wanted the locomotive ready for a special train to be operated on August 1st to celebrate Colorado Day, commemorating when Colorado became a state in 1876. The first task was to search the property for as many parts as possible, including inside the various box cars that were full of tools and parts that came over on the last train in 1968. I was able to locate the main rods in short order as they were still located on each running boards where they were placed in Alamosa 13 years earlier.

As I recall the special train was scheduled only to operated as far as the Iron Horse Inn, just north of Durango, in the early afternoon. It would then return to Durango for a general celebration and speeches by the invited dignitaries. In the very early morning of August 1, 1981, a fire was lit in No. 481 for the first time in many years. All of the roundhouse crew was exhausted as we had been working from 10-15 hours daily for weeks trying to get the locomotive ready and keep the regular trains running. By the time we had steam, we were able to verify that all was good with the boiler, but when we fired up the air pump, we discovered multiple annoying problems with the locomotive brakes. We really wanted to take the locomotive out for a quick test run, before committing it to the special train later. Mr. Bradshaw expected No. 481 to be on that train….or else! We finally were able to get the air brakes to work good enough to leave town. We loaded as many tools, oil, grease guns and roundhouse personnel as we could onto the locomotive and left town after the last train had departed for Silverton. We veery soon realized that the mechanical lubricator feed were not working well and not feeding enough oil to the valves and cylinder on the fireman’s side. That, along with some warm bearings and the ongoing air brake problem, encouraged us to return to Durango after only traveling just beyond the Iron Horse Inn. After returning to Durango, we did the best we could to correct the problems and then placed the locomotive on the short 4 car special train. Flags and bunting were everywhere and I was asked to place my DRGW Class Lamps on the locomotive as well. Since we still were not able to get lubrication to the valve/cylinder on the fireman’s side, I was recruited to ride on the running board, just above the snifter valve. I was instructed that any time the throttle was off and the snifter valve was open, poor as much valve oil in as I could until the throttle was open again and the valve closed. This would provide the lubrication that was needed for the short trip. It was pretty exciting laying flat on my stomach and leaning over the side to poor in the oil as I grabbed on to anything I could to hang on.

All went well and we returned to Durango and briefly listened to the dignitaries speeches, then were ordered back to the roundhouse to prepare for the incoming locomotives that would be arriving soon. Eventually we were able to correct all the problems with No. 481 and it quickly became a crew favorite due to its great steaming and pulling capabilities and smooth ride. It is still in service on the Durango & Silverton today.

Below are some photographs to commemorate this day in 1981. All photos by Richard Bell unless otherwise indicated.

Happy Colorado Day!

Leaving Durango on the only test run, August 1, 1981. We brought along plenty of the crew from the shop in case we had to carry the locomotive back to town. smiling smiley
6DSNG 481, 8-1981.JPG

Test train Crossing the Animas River Bridge.
5DSNG 481, 8-1981.JPG

The Colorado Day Special at the Iron Horse Inn.
3DSNG 481, 8-1981.JPG

Getting ready to poor more valve oil into the snifter valve.
1DSNG 481, 8-1981.JPG
Subject Author Posted

40 Years ago tomorrow, August 1, 1981 Attachments

MD Ramsey July 31, 2021 05:15PM

Re: 40 Years ago tomorrow, August 1, 1981 (Part 2) Attachments

MD Ramsey July 31, 2021 05:19PM

Re: 40 Years ago tomorrow, August 1, 1981 (Part 2)

spieser July 31, 2021 05:55PM

Re: 40 Years ago tomorrow, August 1, 1981 (Part 2)

Rader Sidetrack July 31, 2021 07:38PM

Re: 40 Years ago tomorrow, August 1, 1981

drgwk37 July 31, 2021 11:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login