Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another day on the Madera Sugar Pine Grades

June 25, 2021 09:32AM
On Wednesday, I spent the day up on the MSP grades for the first time this summer. Last year's fires closed down the forest for most of late summer and fall. My original plan was to drive to the Crow's Foot on Chowchilla Mountain and cycle out to the end of the Granite Gap line. Multiple road construction delays ended up costing me over an hour of travel time so by the time I got to the railroad grades I decided to change plans and cycle part of the mainline from Summit Camp back down towards Sugar Pine.

Here's part of Don DeVere's map showing the mainline from Summit Camp (identified as 1931 Camp) down towards Sugar Pine:
IMG_1966[1].JPG

It was about 15 rails miles to Summit Camp where the road engine traded empty cars for loads. Three truck Shay #5 originally had the duty of pulling 22 empty cars from Sugar Pine and then returning with 22 loads. Later Shay #6 spent time on this section of the railroad. After Summit Camp, Shays 2, 3, & 4 handled woods trains between Summit Camp and the logging sites. Summit Camp had three long sidings allowing loads and empties to be swapped. From there the woods lines extended up to 15 more miles into the woods with three main branches emanating out of the Crow's Foot.

I started off on my cycling adventure at the point where the the ROW crossed Chowchilla Mountain road. Here's a view about 1/4 mile downgrade looking towards Sugar Pine:
IMG_1912[1].jpeg
The mainline hugged the western slopes of Hogan Montain.

Here's a view looking back upgrade towards Summit Camp:
IMG_1911[1].jpeg

A little further downgrade was a nice cut:
IMG_1915[1].jpeg

To be continued...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2021 09:34AM by Dave Peterson.
Subject Author Posted

Another day on the Madera Sugar Pine Grades Attachments

Dave Peterson June 25, 2021 09:32AM

Re: Another day on the Madera Sugar Pine Grades Attachments

Dave Peterson June 26, 2021 03:51PM

Re: Another day on the Madera Sugar Pine Grades

wchamp2 June 26, 2021 08:05PM

Re: Another day on the Madera Sugar Pine Grades

Dave Peterson June 27, 2021 12:08AM

Dave Peterson June 27, 2021 10:21AM

Dave Peterson June 28, 2021 03:15PM

Dave Peterson June 30, 2021 06:20PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login