Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

N(N)NG - My PA Trip Part 2 - Strasburg

June 20, 2010 11:39AM avatar
After our trip to the EBT, we drove east towards Hershey, PA, where we stayed for 5 nights (I'll spare you the Hershey photos, but it is a nice little visit for the family). Lancaster county, and the Strasburg Railroad, were about an hour away. We bought tickets for the open-sided car, and set up camp right next to the observation platform and the Strasburg Rail Road (ex Great Western Railway) 2-10-0 Decapod #90, which runs backwards on the way out.

The observation platform is open during the ride, and my kids took advantage of that.

On the way back, I put the camera down for most of the ride and enjoyed our view of Pennsylvania Dutch country.

The Cagney miniature steam train, which I believe is 15" gauge, was originally used in an amusement park. I think this counts as narrow gauge!

On the ride, I snapped this picture of what I think to be #20's tender.

Even narrower for the kids, are these hand-powered "Cranky" cars. Note the tents starting to go up in preparation for Thomas (which we did not attend).

I was able to meet Linn Moedinger and speak to him for a couple of minutes. He was very busy getting the railroad ready for Thomas. He was very gracious and it was great to meet him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 09:02PM by Mark Fuller.
Subject Author Posted

N(N)NG - My PA Trip Part 2 - Strasburg

Mark Fuller June 20, 2010 11:39AM

Re: N(N)NG - My PA Trip Part 2 - Strasburg

Fred Folk June 20, 2010 12:39PM

Will Gant June 22, 2010 01:10AM

Mark Fuller June 22, 2010 06:56AM

Fred Folk June 22, 2010 08:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login