Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NNG: Light rail testing

June 19, 2010 06:50AM
I know this is far afield of the narrow gauge but perhaps it could be of interest.

Friday I got to do the yard testing on RTD (Denver) Light Rail Vehicle 296. This was the first time this ``train’’ was extensively moved since the Union Pacific delivered it a couple of weeks ago.
With a Siemens test conductor on board, I took the 296 to Track 1 in the Elati yard where the yards tests are done. These tests included half throttle to 10 mph then half service brake to a stop, full throttle to 15 mph then full service brake to a stop; full throttle to 15 mph then full brake to a stop with the door controls engaged and the emergency stop. The process was repeated on the other cab.
While I was running the train the test conductor had a computer hooked in, graphing the results. The instruments are quite sensitive. When top speed was reached, I had to let go of the drive brake handle as even the slightest movement of my hand was picked up.
The 296 will go through main-line testing next week. Then it will have a 1,500-mile burn in before it is certified to haul passengers.
Subject Author Posted

NNG: Light rail testing

CharlieMcCandless June 19, 2010 06:50AM

Re: NNG: Light rail testing

Will Gant June 20, 2010 11:09AM

CharlieMcCandless June 20, 2010 12:22PM

WilliamDiehl June 20, 2010 01:40PM

CharlieMcCandless June 20, 2010 02:53PM

Will Gant June 20, 2010 11:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login