Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

N(N)NG - My PA Trip Part 1 (Warning-Family Pictures)

June 16, 2010 09:09PM avatar
For our first road trip vacation as a family, we decided to travel to the beautiful state of Pennsylvania. My wife and I had been there in 2001 B.C. (before children). Raising our children to appreciate nature and trains, we decided this would be a perfect destination.

Our first stop was the East Broad Top narrow gauge railroad. It had rained all the way from Pittsburgh to the parking lot, but as we unpacked, the clouds rolled away and the sun came out. Then, 15 came into the station after turning on the wye. Her whistle was a bit loud for delicate ears

I had the delight of meeting Chris Webster, who had contacted me through this forum after I posted that I would be there for the 50th anniversary weekend. We spoke for a while until the 3pm was ready to depart. He was covered in dirt and grime from volunteering all weekend, and he apologized when I went to shake his hand. I told him that I didn't mind shaking hands with someone whose hands are dirty from doing work! Seems to me that the EBT volunteers are a great group of individuals who do a wonderful job of keeping the railroad looking good and running smoothly. Good job, everyone!

I have a bunch of pictures of me as a youngster in front of various locomotives. Pictures that I treasure, though don't remember being taken due to my young age. I figured that my kids would most likely not remember this trip (at least not the twins, who are 3). I hope that this picture is one that they treasure 40 years from now.

It was comforting to see volunteers of all ages working to get 15 ready to be put away for the night. This kid seemed to know instinctively when to walk over to the hydrant to be prepared for the OK sign. He wasn't there but 15 seconds when the command was given to shut off the water.

And as 15 eased slowly into her stall, the M-6 was started up to push 18 back into her stall after sunning herself for a few hours. The threat of storms was also returning.

Next (time permitting), I'll post a couple of pictures of my visit to the Strasburg RailRoad. And then Dutch Wonderland, concluding with a quick ride on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railway in Ohio.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2010 09:05PM by Mark Fuller.
Subject Author Posted

N(N)NG - My PA Trip Part 1 (Warning-Family Pictures)

Mark Fuller June 16, 2010 09:09PM

Re: N(N)NG - My PA Trip Part 1 (Warning-Family Pictures)

JJreel June 16, 2010 09:12PM

Mark Fuller June 16, 2010 09:19PM

Tower Operator June 16, 2010 11:11PM

jalbers June 17, 2010 09:42AM

EBTfan15 June 17, 2010 11:20AM

Steve G. June 17, 2010 06:32PM

Mark Fuller June 17, 2010 01:02PM

parails June 17, 2010 09:31PM

AZfarmer June 17, 2010 11:46PM

bookemdanno June 19, 2010 09:40PM

Stewart Rhine June 21, 2010 07:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login