Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Passenger Roof Color and sheen - Colorado, 1930s

September 23, 2020 10:03AM
Hello, new member here. First post.

Background: I'm working on two railroads (indoor and outdoor) based on the Southwest Colorado Depression-era narrow gauge aura and era. See more information on my website:
[mrdccu.com]

My current questions revolve around repainting a Bachmann On30 coach with a clerestory roof from Pullman green to Tuscan red.

The exterior color is fine. The interior is painted to resemble oak. The seats were repainted to represent gloss black frames and tan leather cushions. However, the roof is hounding me.

Photos I've seen (and rebuilt or preserved prototype cars) seem to fall into two roof color schemes: light (white or silver) and dark (black). The dark scheme seems to have been used with the Tuscan exterior - I believe it looks better, so that will be MY railroad anyway, VERY BIG GRIN.

I would like to hear from folks as to how the roof was actually created. Photos lead me to believe that it was paper tarred over a wood base.

Is this correct, or how was it done?

What is the sheen of the finished (new) roof? I'd guess a slight sheen from the tar, if my take on the construction is accurate. I'd expect it to go flatter as it weathered.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Bruce Petrarca, MMR, Mr. DCC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2020 10:09AM by MrDCC.
Subject Author Posted

Passenger Roof Color and sheen - Colorado, 1930s

MrDCC September 23, 2020 10:03AM

Re: Passenger Roof Color and sheen - Colorado, 1930s

hank September 23, 2020 10:52AM

Re: Passenger Roof Color and sheen - Colorado, 1930s

Randy Hees September 23, 2020 05:43PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login