Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The big "Double Seven" and the narrow gauge

September 21, 2020 08:29AM
Last week I moved one year closer to qualifying as a Curmudgeon by turning 77. On my birthday I received a couple of e-mails with narrow gauge photos to celebrate the occasion. One was from my second cousin Barbara from Germany, and shows a 2ft 6 in gauge 2-10-2 in Saxony. She did not give the location, and I have yet to figure out which ng line this was taken on, but I am guessing that it is on the line to Kipsdorf in the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains) that still operates regular passenger service with steam as local transportation.

saxonyng-2.jpg

Then there were two photos from my brother JR that show what I REALLY would have liked to be doing on the "Double Seven" :

Sprucing up 315 for an another excursion by cleaning the running gear and smoke box, and working some miles on the left side of the cab (as here Osier to Antonito)

315-2.jpg

315olaf-1.jpg

But thanks to Covid that did not happen. Still, it was a great day, enjoyed by hiking with friends Geoff and Kate, and companion Jack to the summit of Baldy Mountain near Ridgway, with great views from the summit, and good exercise as well with 8 miles RT and 2,000 ft of elevation gain thru scrub oak and aspens starting to turn fall colors.

baldymountain.jpg
Subject Author Posted

The big "Double Seven" and the narrow gauge Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen September 21, 2020 08:29AM

Re: The big "Double Seven" and the narrow gauge

Rosso September 21, 2020 02:57PM

Re: The big "Double Seven" and the narrow gauge Attachments

Olaf Rasmussen September 21, 2020 09:02PM

Re: The big "Double Seven" and the narrow gauge

Russo Loco September 21, 2020 03:55PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login