Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fire on old la veta pass

May 29, 2010 12:30AM avatar
Monday when me and my mom were making our way to Antonito from Boulder for springtime in the rockies going thru Colorado Springs, Pueblo (spent the night at Grandma's) and heading to Alamosa going over old La Veta pass...

When we got to the top where the depot was there and there was alot of smoke and some small fires burning back behind the Depot by a old shed and outhouse behind someones house.

we called 911 and tried to put the fire out using buckets of dirt because we couldnt find any water for a while until La Veta FD showed up and put it out the shed burned and so did the outhouse and a few trees. The FD guys said that a tree came down and took a power line with it which laid on the ground cooking the FD guy said it turned the ground into glass starting the fire. There was alot of lightening when we came into Pueblo Sunday night and the FD guys said some area's got 3" hail the night before and there was ALOt of lightening eye popping smiley

FD guys took our info and today we got a call from the lady that owns most of the buildings up there including the depot saying how thankful she was and was sure it all would have burned if we hadnt been passing by and as windy as it was and as fast as the fire was spreading i dont doubt it would have anyway she said we took part in saving a part of history and invited us to come visit and stay up there so she can tell us about the history eye popping smiley

I got some pictures of the fire but cant post them till I get back home Monday

My mom put it best to both the FD guys and the property owner, "were security guards this is what we do!" smiling bouncing smiley

Sorry for the typos i think i got them all had a few drinks staying in Idaho springs with my mom & brothers smileys with beer

-Brian R. Drew

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2010 12:39AM by FordCVP71.
Subject Author Posted

fire on old la veta pass

FordCVP71 May 29, 2010 12:30AM

Re: fire on old la veta pass

Russo Loco May 29, 2010 09:04PM

FordCVP71 May 31, 2010 09:38AM

FordCVP71 May 31, 2010 09:39AM

Samart May 31, 2010 09:56AM

FordCVP71 May 31, 2010 10:22AM

Fuggy May 31, 2010 10:57AM

John C May 31, 2010 02:09PM

Skip May 31, 2010 02:31PM

guymonmd June 01, 2010 10:37AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login