Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

D&RGW 6500 Car Loading Ramp

May 16, 2020 08:19AM
Hello to all,

I am new to this forum but have a long history with narrow gauge here in Victoria, Australia having been involved with what is the largest collection of 3'6" gauge locomotives and rolling stock in Oz since 1971.

I am a qualified on steam and diesel and drive and fire a number of our operational engines on a regular basis including this engine, ex South Australian Railways T Class #251 (4-8-0 Walkers of Maryborough, 1917):

GSPS History-13.jpg

Wondered if anyone might be able to assist me with a couple of queries about the 6500 series of cars? (I have also sent a similar query to Roger Hogan who kindly lent me his tripod and took me to dinner when I was in Chama in 2012)

After I left Chama I visited the Durango and Silverton and managed to get a couple of shots of a D&RGW 6500 series car from the train as we passed it at Elbert Creek (?).

D&S 6500 Flat Car-1.jpg

I believe the car might be #6531 as shown in another thread on these cars - Jerry Day's shot taken in 2016 with the excavator load?

I have returned to modelling in 1:48 scale in the last few years (after a 35 year hiatus) and with the COVID-19 lockdown have more time to dedicate to this aspect of my life. My railway has ceased all operations for the time being and, as I have two daughters with compromised immune systems due to Crohn’s Disease, I am even having to stay away from the workshops at present.

I have had some competition success with my modelling work so far – the attached image is a combination of a modified D&RGW Idler Flat and Bates Bulldozer which was awarded 2nd Place at the 2017 Australian Narrow Gauge Convention.

33745242970_a7effaab7f_o.jpg

I have just started on a D&RGW 6500 class car as a competition entry and, whilst searching for further reference images, discovered this forum.

I would like to model the car with the loading ramp shown in the image mentioned above. I wondered if anyone might have dimensions and/or detailed photos of this section of the flat wagon (the kit is from the San Juan Car Company).

I’m also after the location of the tie down “pipes” that this car (?) and others had for vehicle transport (have discovered the 6500 trivia thread with some great images).

As it is even harder for me now to return to Colorado any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

(Cheryl and I were planning on an extended visit to Canada and the US this year for our 40th wedding anniversary - but needless to say that has been put on hold for the foreseeable future) .

Regards,

David Price
Former President & Chairman - The Bellarine Railway

bellarinerailway.com.au

+61 3 9568 2859
+61 417 223 130
The Bellarine Railway (ABN 72 004 819 130) is operated by the Geelong Steam Preservation Society (ACN 004 819 130)
Subject Author Posted

D&RGW 6500 Car Loading Ramp Attachments

David J Price May 16, 2020 08:19AM

Re: D&RGW 6500 Car Loading Ramp Attachments

clifforddward May 16, 2020 12:49PM

Re: D&RGW 6500 Car Loading Ramp

David J Price May 16, 2020 07:03PM

Re: D&RGW 6500 Car Loading Ramp

Joe Weigman May 16, 2020 01:23PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login