Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why didn't the D&RGW scrap the remaining cars on the Silverton Branch?

April 14, 2010 12:06PM
Dick Bell's photos of the outfit cars taken in Silverton in the 70's got me to thinking, and I apologize if this has been answered before, but, does anyone know why the Rio Grande didn't finish the job so to speak and scrap the majority of the NG cars leftover after abandonment?

I understand that some of the DB gons were still used for maintenance work, and some of the boxcars served other functions, but, from what I can gather, most of the cars that were transferred to the D&S were not needed. Was it just a matter of difficulty with ensuring that the scrapper didn't touch anything useful, were they just forgotten about by corporate, or were there other uses planned for the cars?

Obviously, I'm glad that so many cars were not scrapped, but, if anyone knows or suspects the reason why, I'd love to hear it.

Another question...other than cars scrapped in 1970/1971, were any D&RGW NG cars disposed of after that date by the Rio Grande?

Thanks,
Grant
Subject Author Posted

Why didn't the D&RGW scrap the remaining cars on the Silverton Branch?

Grant Houston April 14, 2010 12:06PM

Re: Why didn't the D&RGW scrap the remaining cars on the Silverton Branch?

Jason Van Horn April 14, 2010 12:28PM

Re: Why didn't the D&RGW scrap the remaining cars on the Silverton Branch? Attachments

jalbers April 14, 2010 12:48PM

Randy April 14, 2010 03:53PM

hank April 14, 2010 04:48PM

Fritz Klinke April 14, 2010 05:02PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login