Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Snow Days on WP&Y - 1

February 24, 2019 08:58PM
I bought a small batch of original US Army Signal Corps 8 x 10 prints of winter operations on the WP&Y at a swap meet in Bellingham, Washington in 1989. Here are three which appear to show snow removal on White Pass using rotary snow plows.
SC247721rc.jpg

SC 247721 shows a plow working in snow up to the top of the wheel housing. Although the numbering sequence does not follow, I am guessing this might be the first of this sequence of three.
SC-247717rc.jpg
SC247717 shows the track of the plow through the snow. It appears as if the plow may have derailed, as the cut in the snow seems to track to the left of the rails at the end of where the cutting stopped. The crew seems to be clearing snow and ice away from the rails.
SC-247716rc.jpg
SC 247716 shows two plows meeting. I am guessing this is below the summit of White Pass, between the Summit and Dead Horse Gulch. The plow nearest to the photographer is pushed by two locomotives, at least one of which is one of the original 70 series, judging from the tender. The distant plow is pushed by two of the USA 190 series locomotives, one of which is running in reverse to help extract the plow if it gets stalled.

I don't know of the negative numbering fits the sequence in which the photos were taken. They may be the same event, or several different days.

CVM
-30-
Subject Author Posted

Snow Days on WP&Y - 1 Attachments

Charlie Mutschler February 24, 2019 08:58PM

Re: Snow Days on WP&Y - 1

Jim McKee February 24, 2019 09:29PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login