Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Emma Sweeney 2010

April 01, 2010 03:23PM
Emma Sweeney seems to have been reborn anew. With so many posts under the old photograph of Emma being dragged along Blair, I assume there is a real thirst for information about her. The last time so much was posted was in January 2008, in a thread started by Steven Torrico on January 03, 2008. There were many comments at that time. Following is my attempt to clarify some of Emma's history.
I have a postcard from Josie Crum to the Schrams, who were friends of hers back in Michigan. The card is postmarked Sept 13, 1949. It is a photo of RGS #20, in Silverton, in Emma Sweeney paint. On the photo is the caption,

"Emma Sweeney" from 20th Century's "Road to Tomahawk"

Of course, the name is not correct. In fact, even though the movie is often referred to as "Ticket to Tomahawk", a friend here in Durango was quick to point out to me that the "A" in the name is essential because the whole plot hinged on selling One ticket, so "A Ticket to Tomahawk" is the name.
On the message part of the card, Josie Crum wrote,
"Dear Schrams: Would you recognize this as R.G.S. 20? Fox Co. is using it to make a picture, "Ticket to Tomahawk" here. Time is 1876. It is all dolled up in the grandest black, green, red and gold you ever saw; also some cars. R.G.S. had some bad washouts but is now repairing them. Josie Crum

In Steven Torrico's posting, and in some others I have seen, the cost of the replica is given as $40,000. Last week, my memory of the cost was $20,000. Turns out both are wrong. In the TV Guide magazine for May30-June 5, 1964, is a long article about Petticoat Junction and the replica. The price given there is $30,000. That is also the price given in www.toytrains.info/trainmovies.asp. There is some other information about Emma at that site. Good stuff.

The National Geographic in 1951 has a large photo of a young family examining the replica when it was on the site of the filming at what is now Fort Lewis College, but was then called Reservoir Hill. There was an airport there. The photo is on p. 207

On IMDb.com is the comment that "There was only one set of wheels. They would be moved from locomotive to baggage car to passenger car as scenes required." This is about the use in Petticoat Junction.

Emma sat the 20th Century's back lot until it was bought for use at supermarket shows around Los Angeles. Here's what happened, according to Bob Babcock, who I spoke with.
Ted Bowers owned a Mobil Gas Station in Culver City. Fox was selling off Backlot stuff. Ted formed "Tinkertown Company and bought Emma. Bob Babcock worked for Ted. One day Ted told Bob to spruce up Emma, with fresh paint and all. Ted then used Emma at grocery store openings in the LA area.
Ted sold Emma to the Hoyt Hotel in Portland, OR. But, just after the sale, the producers of "Petticoat Junction" wanted to buy it. Ted did not tell them that he had already sold Emma. He stalled for several weeks until finally some sort of lease was worked out, with Ted acting as broker. (Perhaps Ted leased it from Hoyt and then subleased it to Petticoat.
Emma weighed 1800 pounds.
The trip from Hoyt to the Boys school at Preston is still a mystery to me and I'd like to know how it worked.
After the boys at Preston reworked Emma, it was put on display in Jackson. It was in the open for a few years and finally had a pavilion cover put over it. At present (2010) Emma needs another facelift.
Subject Author Posted

Emma Sweeney 2010

bill ramaley April 01, 2010 03:23PM

Re: Emma Sweeney Come Home - to Silverton!!

Russo Loco April 01, 2010 05:48PM

FordCVP71 April 01, 2010 06:29PM

Double heading Emma Sweeney with RGS # 20?

dougvv April 01, 2010 09:06PM

Re: Double heading Emma Sweeney with RGS # 20?

Russo Loco April 01, 2010 09:11PM

Fritz Klinke April 02, 2010 12:42AM

Re: Emma Sweeney 2010 Attachments

sierrashay April 01, 2010 06:34PM

Re: Emma Sweeney 2010

J.B.Bane April 01, 2010 06:46PM

Re: Emma Sweeney 2010 Attachments

sierrashay April 01, 2010 08:44PM

Re: Emma Sweeney 2010

davegrandt April 01, 2010 08:52PM

Re: Emma Sweeney UPDATE Attachments

Steven Torrico April 02, 2010 07:28PM

Re: Emma Sweeney UPDATE

Rick Steele April 02, 2010 10:16PM

Steven Torrico April 03, 2010 06:27AM

Steven Torrico April 03, 2010 06:41AM

Steven Torrico April 03, 2010 06:43AM

Russo Loco April 03, 2010 06:45PM

Re: Emma Sweeney UPDATE-music

bill ramaley April 03, 2010 08:43PM

Re: Emma Sweeney UPDATE-music

WilliamDiehl April 04, 2010 02:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login