Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vaguely NG related, but turning green

March 31, 2010 08:56PM avatar
Copy of Nibley Mimnaugh N Fk Whiskey 3-31-10 ph1 Bane Col.jpg
Copy of Nibley Mimnaugh N Fk Whiskey 3-31-10 ph2 Bane Col.jpg
I guess I am getting pretty desperate here in rather snowy N.E. Ore. from some rr grade hiking and exploration. A service call today took me out into the nearby mountains up Whiskey Crk. North of Wallowa, Ore. where I was driving parallel to or on a grade of the Nibley Mimnaugh Lbr. Co. A bit of the grade can be seen in these two photos next to the hill with a good many trees growing up in it. The grade goes off into private timber and ranch lands so I've not explored it further. The grade dates back to 1908-1914 more or less. The line was std. ga., but was owned in part by 2 of the family members associated with SVRy and OLC these being Charles Nibley, and one of the Stoddard Bros. (George I think). There is a theory put forward by a friend of mine that a 25 ton Heisler used on this line may have been regauged and used in the Sumpter country by Stoddard Lbr. A short time before taking these photos on my return trip I had been in much higher country and in near white out conditions on seriously 4wd road!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2010 09:22PM by J.B.Bane.
Subject Author Posted

Vaguely NG related, but turning green Attachments

J.B.Bane March 31, 2010 08:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login