Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Necrophoamin the Narrowest (Part 2)

October 22, 2018 12:33PM avatar
Part Two.
What Was:
Very early on, I had acquired what are surely the Holy Books for any western based necrophoamer: David Myrick's “Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California” Volumes One and Two. (Mine are first editions I bought new – they've yellowed nicely) So when I found the “Abandoned Monorail” marked on the topo, I knew what they were referring to.
The Epsom Salts Monorail was built in 1922-24 by a Los Angeles florist who was definitely thinking, “Outside the Boutineer” (not an actual saying). Thomas Wright discovered a large deposit of magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salt) out in the desert near the Owls Head Mountains. (What the hell was doing out there?) The nearest railhead was the Trona Railway 28 miles to the west. The route crossed the Slate Range by way of Layton Pass – no easy task: 10 to 12 percent grades! To accomplish this, a monorail was needed. But there was no such thing so he simply invented it (!!) and was awarded a patent on June 23, 1923. (I love this guy!)
It didn't work. The whole thing literally fell apart. The trains destroyed the track in about two years, and besides – the Salts were about half sand, and not worth much – or at least not enough. The last train ran in 1926 and the line was finally scrapped in the late ’30s.
It was “Back to Boutineers” for Mr. Wright. (That's not an actual saying either)
These photos are from David Myrick's fine book. I think Bill Fisher (“Baggage Car with Lace Curtains” and “20 Years Over Donner”) made these copy slides for me back in the early ’80s. I've no idea why they're so pink, but they look kinda cool, so I'm using them here.

Layton Pass.
001.jpg

A double header! This looks to be an early version of the train – note the bags of Salts.
002.jpg

I don't think 12 percent was an exaggeration!
003.jpg

I think this was like maybe the Mark II version. (They're moving furniture? Where?)
Check out the seating position straddling the wheel! (“No Mr. Bond – I expect you to die!”)
004.jpg

SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 12:34PM by Dutch Flat.
Subject Author Posted

Necrophoamin the Narrowest (Part 2) Attachments

Dutch Flat October 22, 2018 12:33PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login