Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Historical Photo Specials

May 17, 2018 01:56AM
It amazes me how accurate photo specials are run on many narrow gauge lines. From the amazing C&TS charters every year, to much smaller operations such as the WW&F and SR&RL.

Often overlooked because of their toy-like appearance, the little operations put on spectacular shows. For example the WW&F will pick out a certain theme for a special photo run, volunteers dress up as accurate as possible, and the imagery is something right out of the history books. Hundreds of hours are spent deciding on a timeline, planning operations, and organizing special things. Things such as the recent charter where a team of horses were brought in to haul the original flat car that was once used with a team of horses in 1937 to scrap the railroad. Or the engine crew wearing neck ties like the original crews did back in the 1900-1920 era. Although they may seem toyish, they worked just as hard and often just as fast as their wider gauge counterparts. And the best part with the narrower narrow gauge such as the WW&F, when the Mountain extension is completed they will actually have enough cars to require a REAL need to double the hill like the original railroad did. In the next 3-4 years they will have 5-6 operational freight cars, and theres always the possibility of visiting equipment as well. Its just a matter of coordinating, cost, etc.

Someday when I am finally able to visit C&TS, and D&SNG I hope to be fortunate enough to attend one of the special photo runs. I enjoy watch Greg'shostoric and modern videos, as well as seeing the many beautifull photos everyone shares.
Subject Author Posted

Historical Photo Specials

narrowgaugejoe10 May 17, 2018 01:56AM

Re: Historical Photo Specials

John Meixel May 17, 2018 03:28AM

Re: Historical Photo Specials Attachments

Stewart Rhine May 17, 2018 05:19AM

Re: Historical Photo Specials

Greg Scholl May 17, 2018 10:14AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login