Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Narrow and Standard Gauge - July 4th at NSRM (Photos!)

July 29, 2017 11:36AM
Folks,

Although I have visited the Nevada State Railroad Museum a number of times in the past, it has always been on my bucket list to visit during their July 4th celebration, when they bring out all of the crown jewels in their collection, notably, the 1875-vintage "Inyo", of V&T and movie fame. Earlier this year, when I learned that the museum basically planned to run everything that runs, I decided that this had to be the year to visit Carson City in July.

I flew into Oakland, California, and after a visit with some friends over at Railtown 1897 in Jamestown, I headed over the hill for 3 days at the NSRM. The visit turned out to be well worth the wait. The weather was "severe clear" for the entire time and there was plenty of action to photograph with three steam engines running, including the narrow gauge, wood-burning "Glenbrook", the standard gauge, wood-burning movie star "Inyo" (V&T #22) and the oil-burning V&T 10-Wheeler #25. In addition, both the Edwards Motor Car and the McKeen Car were in operation. All of the equipment participated in a "Parade of Trains" in great light when the museum opened, and then the various pieces alternated on the main line, either in passenger service, or on demonstration runs. The museum staff was incredibly nice and offered plenty of opportunities to visit the cabs and even ride with them.

The machines at this facility are Smithsonian-quality restorations....except that these all run! They are gorgeous, inside and out. One might not think that you could obtain calendar quality photos in a museum environment in July, but one would be dead-wrong in that assumption. I was incredibly pleased with the photos that I shot on this trip.

If you'd like to see what it all looked like, I've assembled a Flickr album for your viewing pleasure. Have a look, if the spirit moves you:

4th of July at NSRM: Inyo, Glenbrook, McKeen and more!

If, you've never been to the Nevada State Railroad Museum, you owe it to yourself to get out there. Is there anyplace else that has TWO 1875-era wood-burners, still running on their original boilers? smileys with beer

/Kevin Madore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2017 11:38AM by KevinM.
Subject Author Posted

Narrow and Standard Gauge - July 4th at NSRM (Photos!)

KevinM July 29, 2017 11:36AM

Re: Narrow and Standard Gauge - July 4th at NSRM (Photos!)

guymonmd July 29, 2017 12:25PM

ozinoz July 29, 2017 03:51PM

Murph July 29, 2017 03:56PM

pd3463 July 29, 2017 09:39PM

hudsonut1 July 29, 2017 04:19PM

Re: Narrow & Std Gauge - July 4 at NSRM (Photo & Question) Attachments

Russo Loco July 29, 2017 05:31PM

Stewart Rhine July 29, 2017 07:45PM

nedsn3 July 29, 2017 09:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login