Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Clerestory Vents on Carter Bros. Passenger Cars?

February 07, 2010 05:19PM avatar
I have noticed that, at least in the 1882-1887 era, Carter Bros. passenger cars had 6 or 7 peculiarly shaped clerestory vents on each side of the clerestory structure. They were somewhat like a slice of a semi-cylinder in shape. Examples of these peculiar vents are found in the photos at www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/builders/Images/carterbros_ngcoach.jpg and narrowmind.railfan.net/WPYR/passenger/202-6or7.jpg .

My question is whether these peculiar vents are found on any passenger cars OTHER THAN Carter Bros. Especially, are they found on any J. Hammond passenger cars?

My question arises from the combine shown in the second photo. That combine had these peculiar vents, and it had "J. Hammond, SF 1887" embossed on its trucks. Hammond had a big fire that destroyed its factory in 1887. I am trying to determine whether these trucks survived the 1887 Hammond fire and whether Carter Bros. built a substitute carbody for the purchaser.

This particular combine was originally owned by the Olympia & Chehalis Valley R.R., sold to the Columbia & Puget Sound R.R. in 1890, sold to the White Pass & Yukon in 1898, sold to the Klondike Mines Ry. in 1904, and demolished in a grass fire near Dawson City in the 1940's. The trucks remain in existence.
Subject Author Posted

Clerestory Vents on Carter Bros. Passenger Cars?

Buffalo Bob February 07, 2010 05:19PM

Re: Clerestory Vents on Carter Bros. Passenger Cars?

Brian Norden February 07, 2010 06:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login