Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Request to photographer of Antonito storage reefers

February 02, 2010 12:41PM
Pacific Car & Foundry built these cars at their Renton plant. One Saturday, I walked around the perimeter fence. Interesting. (Kenworth highway tractors are now built there)

These steel cars were iced via hatches over both ends. Circulating fans were powered from rubber wheels on the car wheels.

I remember watching reefers being iced at GN's Interbay Yard. Vestiges of this plant can be found over a half century later. Nearly all reefers were wood; same as the two C&TSR rebuilds. (thanks)

A reader mentioned having photographed these Antonito cars. I'd sure appreciate copies.

Sidelight: A few years ago, while working at the Antonito carshop one week, I was asked to lubricate the car doors. Success, after about three days of scraping, wiping and lubricating. Trust somebody is applying lots of motor oil to them. The people that loaded and unloaded these cars many years ago used fork lifts to nudge the doors. Suspect that this method is still common.

Am I correct in remembering that there is a wooden standard gauge boxcar in the Antonito display yard?
Subject Author Posted

Request to photographer of Antonito storage reefers

Dick Seelye February 02, 2010 12:41PM

Re: Request to photographer of Antonito storage reefers Attachments

Mark Valerius February 02, 2010 01:24PM

Re: Request to photographer of Antonito storage reefers

CCSII February 02, 2010 04:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login