Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Doug Richter passes

December 30, 2016 11:12AM
It is with deep sadness that I pass along the news that one of our oldest railfan members died yesterday at the age of 98.

Doug Richter had been in declining health for some yrs., but his mind and wit had stayed young.

Born in 1918, he served with the US Army in England during WW2.

I knew Doug for right at 50 yrs. He was pointed out to me when I was just starting out in this hobby and quickly showed why
he was the "go to" guy if you wanted accurate information on steam locomotives.

If you asked Doug a question and he did not know the answer right off, rather than throw out BS, he'd say that he'd
get back to you...and he always did. If Doug Richter said something was so, you could take that to the bank. He was likely
the most reliable source of information out there. So much so, that more than once, railroads went to Doug for help when they
were looking to purchase a used steam locomotive. Case in point was in 1952 when Pickering Lbr. Corp. MM Sam Matson
asked Doug for a list of large geared steam locomotives in the PNW. Doug gave him one along with a few photos and off Sam went.
For one reason or another, all of the candidates were dismissed until he got to the final one of Doug's list. That was Long-Bell
90-3 Shay 1008 up in Washington state. When Sam first mentioned a 90 ton Shay, the guy in the office of the huge wooden
structure said that they didn't have anything like that, so Sam pulled out a photo provided by Doug and showed it to the guy who
looked at him and admitted that the building behind the Shay looked like the one that they were in. He added that he'd never been out
the other door on the far side of the building. So out they both went and sure enough, there was the 1008 sitting outside in all her glory.
She was purchased on the spot and transported south to Standard where she was given a major overhaul, a new number 8 and then was exhibited
for company employees and Doug in January of 1953 for photos. The 8 spot gave the Pickering 6 fine years of service until the the second pair of EMD
diesels came on the property in spring of 1959. Doug did himself proud on that one .

Doug was invited to a Pacific Locomotive Association field trip to Klamath, CA in October, 1968 as guest fireman on Heisler 10, a
former Pickering engine. This was a gesture by Karl Koenig for all that Doug had given to Western fans and railroads.

I still have all of his typewritten notes from the mid 60's with loco data from prints that he had provided me. He was most generous
with his time and his photos.

A wonderful gentleman of the old school, exacting yet modest. They just didn't come any better than Doug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 03:22PM by Tom Moungovan.
Subject Author Posted

Doug Richter passes

Tom Moungovan December 30, 2016 11:12AM

Re: Doug Richter passes

John Cole December 30, 2016 11:19AM

Tom Moungovan December 30, 2016 12:18PM

Re: Doug Richter passes Attachments

LOGGERHOGGER December 31, 2016 08:01AM

rehunn December 31, 2016 10:35AM

Earl December 31, 2016 10:42AM

Mallory Hope Ferrell December 31, 2016 12:57PM

LOGGERHOGGER December 31, 2016 01:38PM

Mallory Hope Ferrell December 31, 2016 02:17PM

LOGGERHOGGER December 31, 2016 03:30PM

Mallory Hope Ferrell January 04, 2017 03:57PM

LOGGERHOGGER January 05, 2017 07:49AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login