Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Head-on Collision with ex-DSP&P Mason Bogies??

November 04, 2016 03:21PM avatar
My friend Jan Rons sent me this photo of a staged head-on collision from 1896. He said:

“I was doing some research on midwestern railroads, specifically the Great Northern which ran through my hometown on its way to Sioux City Iowa. I found a photo in a book called "Sioux City Railroads" by Rudolph Daniels showing a staged wreck which occurred at a county fair in Sioux City in 1896.

“What peaked my attention was that both locomotives were clearly DH1 Mason Bogies as were used on the DSP&P. Both engines had the original peaked roof cabs with arched windows, and wagon top boilers. Starting in 1878, "South Park" purchased about 23 Mason Bogies in several versions as the railroad was built. These elegant little engines were soon found to be inadequate to the tasks of mountain railroading. and most of them were retired, scrapped, or off the property by 1890. Photos exist of most DH1's with the exception of engines # 45 and #47.

“Which brings me to this photo. To the best of my knowledge, this photo has never been published before other than it being featured in a relatively obscure little book on Sioux City Railroads. I think South Park fans would find it interesting, and I would like to share it on the NGDF.”

“The chief question that comes to my mind is how did these pretty little engines wind up in the midwest meeting their ultimate demise at a fairground field in Sioux City Iowa??

“The photo is in the Sioux City Historical Museum collection.”

So what do you think guys? Anyone know the background history of these two locos?
Staged wreck in Sioux City Mason Bogies_ (4).jpg
Subject Author Posted

Head-on Collision with ex-DSP&P Mason Bogies?? Attachments

Herb Kelsey November 04, 2016 03:21PM

Re: Head-on Collision with ex-DSP&P Mason Bogies?? (pics & link) Attachments

rod November 04, 2016 03:54PM

Re: Head-on Collision with ex-DSP&P Mason Bogies?? (pics & link) Attachments

rod November 04, 2016 06:21PM

Re: Head-on Collision with ex-DSP&P Mason Bogies??

wishiwasincolorado November 04, 2016 04:16PM

Re: Head-on Collision with ex-DSP&P Mason Bogies??

David Johnson November 04, 2016 06:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login