Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Silverton Water

October 31, 2016 10:34AM avatar
I believe this has been discussed before, but I cannot find anything using the search function. Did Silverton ever have a locomotive watering facility (tank or plug)? From my own experience I know there was none there in the later years, and I have a bunch of train orders from the 1890's authorizing engines to "run extra Silverton to Water Tank and return extra to Silverton". Then of course there were the three little railroads headquartered in Silverton, did they have water tanks or plugs, and if so why didn't the DRGW use them. The need to run to "Water Tank" (where ever that was) seems rather inconvenient for what back in the days was a fairly busy railroad terminal. I suppose a broader question was did the DRGW at Silverton ever have any kind of engine terminal since the train orders suggest engines were often in town to do switching. I would guess at its peak Silverton was a pretty busy place. I'm guessing there was a reason for no water at Silverton, like poor water quality due to the mining, or some such.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 10:34AM by John West.
Subject Author Posted

Silverton Water

John West October 31, 2016 10:34AM

Re: Silverton Water

Tom Fitzgerald October 31, 2016 11:31AM

Tank at 493.9

John West October 31, 2016 12:10PM

Fritz Klinke October 31, 2016 01:57PM

John West October 31, 2016 02:31PM

Johnson Barr October 31, 2016 03:36PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login