Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Was there a flanger train on 12/18/61?

July 30, 2016 01:22PM avatar
Dear John et al -

I've been looking again at the third, fourth and fifth beautiful photos on JBWX' "Personal Favorites" web page at [chasingtrains.smugmug.com] and I noticed a faint smudge of what appears to be locomotive exhaust at the far left edge of all three photos. This couldn't be exhaust from the train that's the main subject of the photos 'cause it's way too far away from the lead locomotive, beyond the telegraphone poles to the left.  And it can't be clouds 'cause it's partly below the top of the mesa in the distance and changes shape too much between the first photo of the set and the third one.

I'm thinking that a flanger train probably ran ahead of the westbound freight that day, and the flanger train was climbing "Gravity Hill" while the freight was passing the yard-limit sign as it left Antonito. There's no date on the Antonito triptych, but I assume the three were taken the same day as the preceding photo on the three-rail south of Alamosa - which is dated 'December 18, 1961' - so maybe Jimmy Blouch can confirm my wild guess . . .     smileys with beer

- El Abuelo Histœrico, Greengo y Curmudgeoño de los Locomoturas Viejos y Verdes,
aka Der Grossväterlich DünkelOlivGrünDampfKesselMantelLiebHabender
Subject Author Posted

Was there a flanger train on 12/18/61?

Russo Loco July 30, 2016 01:22PM

Re: Was there a flanger train on 12/18/61?

John West July 30, 2016 01:27PM

Re: There WAS a flanger train on 12/18/61 . . . eye popping smiley

Russo Loco July 30, 2016 01:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login