Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gainesville Midland - modeling content

May 30, 2016 02:36PM
Hi,

I am considering building a few modules based on the Gainesville Midland (Winder, Monroe, Jefferson, Gainesville in Georgia) for display at train shops. The Gainesville Jefferson & Southern/Gainesville Midland were controlled by the Ga Road or owned by the Ga Road (Monroe branch from Social Circle).

I probably will do it on N scale but I also have an HO SD-40 without dynamic brakes (like GM 10) and an undecorated Russian decapod in HO scale.

My question is about modeling the several cotton mills. This will be one of the answers I will consider when choosing what scale to model in.

Monroe had two or three cotton mills served by the GM. Winder had one and Gainesville had two.

Does anyone have any suggestions of kits that can be kit-bashed into cotton mills?

FWIW:

The era is also in question. If I model in N scale, I will model the era when the standard gauge GM interchanged with both the Ga Road and the Greene County.

If in HO scale, I would model the era when the Monroe - Belmont Junction was 3' gauge. I have a D&RGW C-16 that would be a very close match to the D&RGW class 56 that was GJ&S/GM 230. GM 804 was a sister to the D&RGW C-21. I have a D&RGW C25 which is sinilar to the C21. The Winder cotton mille was served by both GM narrow gauge and SAL SG spurs. Monroe had a some dual gauge trackwork and a Ramsey transfer 4-rail section where SG equipment could exchange SG and NG trucks.

Either era would have the SG Ga Road displayed on the Monroe module(s).

Thanks for any help.

Doug vV
Subject Author Posted

Gainesville Midland - modeling content

dougvv May 30, 2016 02:36PM

Re: Gainesville Midland - modeling content

bcp May 30, 2016 02:46PM

dougvv May 31, 2016 05:49PM

Johnson Barr June 01, 2016 12:50AM

Re: Gainesville Midland - loco question

Russo Loco May 31, 2016 12:01AM

dougvv May 31, 2016 12:36AM

Earl May 31, 2016 05:19AM

Re: NNG - question about a loco by a loco

Russo Loco May 31, 2016 01:46PM

szuiderveen May 31, 2016 03:05PM

dougvv May 31, 2016 03:08PM

Charlie Mutschler May 31, 2016 07:35PM

nedsn3 June 02, 2016 08:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login