Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jacketing for steam pipes

March 29, 2016 06:41PM
Should anyone have a need to replicate the jacketing for the steam pipes between the smokebox and cylinders, as seen on WP&Y 195 linked below, I have developed a method for doing so. It is too complicated to explain here, but if you have the need and contact me privately, I will attempt to do so. Most locomotives that have been hacked by asbestos abatement contractors have lost these jackets; without the originals to trace around, they're difficult to reproduce. I also have developed (but not yet used) a way to lay out boiler jackets with "adjustable holes" for fitting around studs and pipes when making a jacket for an engine that doesn't have one. Please don't do what the hackers on our engine did many years ago when making a new jacket (after discarding the old one they should have used as patterns). They simply cut off all studs flush with the boiler, laid out and fitted the jacket, then burned holes through it and the boiler shell, welding short pieces of threaded rod in place of the studs to re-apply the handrail posts and steps.

[www.whitepassfan.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2016 06:42PM by CVR220.
Subject Author Posted

Jacketing for steam pipes

CVR220 March 29, 2016 06:41PM

Re: Jacketing for steam pipes

davidtltc March 30, 2016 05:30PM

Re: Jacketing for steam pipes

CVR220 March 30, 2016 08:17PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login