Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SP No. 8 Question

October 09, 2015 07:59PM
When the asbestos scare was raging in the 1980's, many steam locomotives were butchered by fly-by-night abatement contractors who cut off whatever was in their way, often scrapping the parts they cut off. Numerous communities paid a fortune to these clowns, fearing death and destruction of their citizens otherwise. At least three cities proposed digging a pit beside their display locomotive and toppling it in for burial, none of which, fortunately, happened. Around that time, I saw a proposal from a contractor to remove the lagging from SP 4-6-0 No. 8 at Sparks.

His simple drawings identified the boiler as the "train barrel" and the cab as the "conductor's platform" - just the kind of guy you'd want near your engine with a cutting torch..

But when I saw No. 8 several years ago, it obviously had not been butchered and still had the jacket intact. Thus, my question is: Did the asbestos abatement take place, with the jacket skillfully re-applied, or was it simply not done, with the lagging still present?
Subject Author Posted

SP No. 8 Question

CVR220 October 09, 2015 07:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login