Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Unanswerable

November 08, 2009 06:56PM
I had a high school youngster who learned that I was interested in the railroads, and he asked to see some pictures of DRGW locomotives. He started asking me some questions that I thought that I could answer, but discovered that I could not. He asked about the colored lights on the front of the locomotive, and I said that they were classification lights (regularly scheduled train, extra . . .). The question was, who needed to know (the crew should have known what they were, why would the public need to know - and would they know the difference). The he asked about the lights. Two stacked above the cab, and then 2 more on the nose on a low hood. Question was - who said they needed four headlights (good question - specific railroad request or required by Feds, and if so then, why NOT now). Plus ditch lights he asked, isn't that overkill, and how much more did the extra lights help (probably more for the motorists to see the damn train coming). But the kicker question was - why the "F" on the locomotive, which of course indicates the front, so his question was of course, the crew needed to know this? Anyone got some answers so I can get back with the kid and not appear a complete idiot.
Subject Author Posted

Unanswerable

Ken in Buena Vista November 08, 2009 06:56PM

Re: Unanswerable

Andy J November 08, 2009 08:03PM

Andy J November 08, 2009 08:20PM

Eugene Blabey November 08, 2009 08:42PM

Skip November 08, 2009 09:05PM

Andy J November 08, 2009 09:08PM

Jeff Taylor November 08, 2009 09:40PM

Brian Norden November 08, 2009 09:54PM

Abqfoamer November 08, 2009 10:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login