Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trains Magazine's NewsWire: Rio Grande “Mudhen” 463 trip postponed

May 03, 2012 03:39PM avatar
Yesterday (May 2, 2012), the good folks at Trains magazine posted this newswire item about #463: Trains.com - Rio Grande “Mudhen” 463 trip postponed
I think you need to be a Trains magazine subscriber to read the entire article.

The last sentence of the third paragraph jumped out at me. Here is a 2-sentence quote of that particular paragraph; the quote should be long enough to put the sentence in context while still being short enough to be considered to be fair use:

Trains Magazine: Rio Grande “Mudhen” 463 trip postponed (Published: May 2, 2012)
[Tim Tennant] said there was not enough manpower working on reassembly to make the May 15 date, complicated by the fact the engine had been in pieces at more than one location. Parts had been scattered and now must be found and placed back on No. 463.

Now, my personal opinions about this article:

(1) The article was written by one of Kalmbach's many professional journalists and directly cites the Mr. Tennant as the source, so I personally see no reason to doubt its accuracy.

(2) To me, the "been scattered and now must be found" phrasing reads like a clever euphemism for "lost".

I do not know if it is intended to be a euphemism or not; I am simply pointing it out because it appears in national coverage of the 463 project.

(3) I admit that my perception of that phrasing is colored by a post the proprietor of the other board made five days earlier, on Friday, 27 April 2012, at 10:26 a.m. That post, another rant about the 463 project, included the sentence "Vital parts are missing".

While that might be a case of the broken clock being correct twice a day, the same poster also correctly predicted that the May 15 excursion would not happen.

Finally, the Trains newswire item also indicated that about 50 coach tickets are left for the 463 excursion.

--
Chris Webster
Subject Author Posted

Trains Magazine's NewsWire: Rio Grande “Mudhen” 463 trip postponed

Chris Webster May 03, 2012 03:39PM

Re: Trains Magazine's NewsWire: Rio Grande “Mudhen” 463 trip postponed

wisconsinmike May 03, 2012 04:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login