Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steam recollection, rare pacific, golden shot, etc.

December 27, 2011 12:41PM
Back in 1977 I was in South Africa in a field near the station of Witput on the De-Aar to Kimberley line that featured about 50-75 trains a day pulled by 4-8-4's. We were standing in a field to get a broadside view near the station, when a southbound train from Kimberley pulled up to a stop waiting on orders or a meet. As the engine came to a stop a guy jumped down from the cab of the 25NC(4-8-4), and started walking over toward us. He in fact was the fireman, a medium built fellow in his early 20's wearing a long trenchcoat on this South African winter morning(July 1977). He asked us if we had heard about the 16E(which had just been restored), and told us it was supposed to operate the next morning out of De Aar on a named passenger train (The Rhodesian Mail). We had not heard about it, but it quickly became our main agenda for the next day. The odd thing about this chap, was that he was born not more than 50 miles from where we lived in Ohio. We lived east of Cincinnati and he was from Dayton, and was living in SA enjoying his dream of firing steam in regular service.
The next morning we headed for De Aar and caught the train before sunrise as it left De Aar around 4:30 am. We had a few other local South African Chasers including a couple of the well known ones. At first sun, we spotted the veteran photogs(English fans call them gricers), right in the perfect spot to capture the golden shots at dawn. This was the only pacific that was in steam at the time, having been retired about a decade earlier, and now restored for special service. One day I will scan my shots of 858(16E) or transfer my films to see. Today I decided to check out Rail Pictures and type in South Africa and found this shot below. I suspect one of these two 16E's is the 858. They were running on freight, and caught at the golden hour.
This made me think of our chase in 1977 of 858 pre-dawn and beyond with a special engine on a regular passenger train. Thanks to Jim R. from Dayton for the tip!!! I often wonder what became of our fireman from Dayton, Ohio!!!

Doubleheader 16E's In South Africa...De Aar-Kimberly Line

[www.railpictures.net]

Greg Scholl
[www.gregschollvideo].
Subject Author Posted

Steam recollection, rare pacific, golden shot, etc.

Greg Scholl December 27, 2011 12:41PM

Re: Steam recollection, rare pacific, golden shot, etc.

Charles McMillan December 27, 2011 07:39PM

Greg Scholl December 28, 2011 12:47PM

Trevor Heath December 27, 2011 08:18PM

Greg Scholl December 28, 2011 12:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login