Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cumbres Summit Tunnel

August 31, 2011 01:56AM
I researched D&RGWs Standard gauge ambitions to Farmington extensively about 10 years ago and found quite a lot of information. Tucked away in the archives of the Colorado Historical Society I found many artifacts of the long ago dream.

Amongst the gems, was a line location map of 3 alternative routes up the west slope of the range Cumbres sits upon. All were several miles to the south on 3 different grade percentages. The steepest and least expensive was 1.8%.

I never could find the grade location maps for Standard Gauge Cumbres w/ the summit tunnel. I believe there were surveys run in the teens and 20s.
I noticed the other day in "Ghost Railroads of Colorado by Robert Ormes" that his map of Cumbres says it is the 1916 Standard Guage survey with Summit Tunnel? But it appears to be the regular narrow gauge alinement. not sure if this was a typo or wrong map, or perhaps the standard guage line was going to be run up the 4%? I somehow doubt this since other information I came across in the past pointed towards a much more substantial grade change. If he did come across the 1916 survey I sure would like to see it.

I am guessing the Cumbres survey has been lost, but anyone that has information as to where it might be I would be very interested.

I would also be interested to know the location of the summit tunnel that was never dug out. I am guessing it would have been in the small valley or holler the old and new highway run through to some point east of summit, but that is just a guess.

Farmington and Durango would surely be different today if any of the Standard gauging east of Durango had happened. Coal trains from the vast coal seams south and west of Farmington would surely be polishing the rails to this day. Luckily for us Narrow Gauge lovers it never happened.
Subject Author Posted

Cumbres Summit Tunnel

J S Cary August 31, 2011 01:56AM

Re: Cumbres Summit Tunnel

CharlieMcCandless August 31, 2011 07:40AM

BrianJ August 31, 2011 05:18PM

J S Cary September 01, 2011 12:21PM

CharlieMcCandless September 01, 2011 12:52PM

Re: "South Wolf Creek" Tunnel

Russo Loco September 14, 2011 09:40AM

J S Cary September 01, 2011 01:13PM

CharlieMcCandless September 01, 2011 07:50PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login