Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disaster on the the G & Q Ecuador. Update as of April 1. Tour Operators suckered.

April 07, 2009 01:03PM
I very much regret to report disaster in Ecuador in regard to the rehabilitation.

As I had predicted earlier disaster loomed for tour operators who were promising the impossible and the sad thing is that I was spot on which probably was not too surprising since I was the only outsider who regularly travelled the entire system by way of work which was more than could be said for the management!

The situation is currently as follows as all work seems to have been suspended for the moment:

Duran to Yaguachi: Track no longer passed for steam.

Yaguachi to Milagro: Nothing done.

Milagro : Still telling Railroad go to hell and no trains through my town!

Milago to Bucay: Forget it for the moment.

Bucay to Huigra : Totally impassible but a promise to be ready for 2010. Five bridges out.

Huigra to Sibambe : Missing sections of track due landslides, tunnels not operable and at least three missing bridges.

Sibambe to Riobamba (Devils Nose) : Operable for Railcars only. Daily service all the way to Riobamba.

Riobamba to Urbina : Passed for railcar and steam. No service.
Urbina to Mocha: Landslide blocking track.

Mocha to Latacunga: Impassable. Landslide has line locked on Latacunga side of Amabato and track through Ambato under three feet of dirt.

Latacunga to El Boliche. Line lifted off ground to allow for new ballast. Ballast stolen. No ballast. No railroad.

El Boliche to Quito. Track failed safety inspection. No service.

Ibarra to Primer Paso: still running with daily service. Railcar only.

TOUR OPERATORS:

I was highly critical of Tour Operators offering what could not be achieved. I have been involved since in the background and it sad to know that the Railway management totally misled people like Chris Skow and Thomas Fischer. They kept telling them everything was OK despite my knowing the real situation but you cannot blame the operators if the railroad officially tells them something.

I know now that Chris, in particular was told in writing from the highest level untruths and even the local operator was misled. I have known Chris's tours for many years and they always delivered and I do not think he would mislead anyone. He was simply suckered by the Ecuadorean railway management.Chris may have had financial problems but his tours always delivered.The failure this year was not his fault and the same goes for the other operators.

THE FUTURE

As a result of the above there has been the father and mother of a row and after some very stormy meetings the Railroad has now been forced to do something. It has been agreed that all steam engines will be overhauled commencing immediately. In particular these engines are Nos. 11, 14, 17, 18, 53 and 58. Further the track from Duran to Yaguachi and Bucay to Sibambe, Alausi to Mocha and Latacunga to Quito is guaranteed by them to be passed for steam for 2010. Ibarra to Primer Paso will be upgraded as well.

It is one hell of a work program so we will see what actually happens. I will keep readers posted on progress from time to time.

So the tour operatros got suckered, nobody believed me and alas I was right. Nobody is sadder than I am as I genuinely want to see that railroad fully restored and hope I can play a part in ensuring that. We will see!

I note in passing that RTC is the only operator left advertising the impossible in Ecuador this year. Nigel should check what he is offering as he has not a cats chance in hell of delivering and it is bad for all of us in the business when this happens.

Michael Grimes
Subject Author Posted

Disaster on the the G & Q Ecuador. Update as of April 1. Tour Operators suckered.

KellsMuseum April 07, 2009 01:03PM

Re: Disaster on the the G & Q Ecuador. Update as of April 1. Tour Operators suckered.

DWBrown April 07, 2009 11:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login