Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Toltec Gorge Site of D&RG’s Disaster-The D&RG’s First Horrible Accident

April 05, 2009 11:22AM
Most of us have read John Norwood’s account of parts of Train #216 sliding into the Gorge on February 11, 1948, and seen Otto Perry’s photos and movies of the results [included in “Otto Perry’s Rio Grande San Juan Express” by Machine of Iron c2004], but most have not heard of Toltec’s worst disastrous accident of April 22, 1881. Robert D. Turner detailed this accident quite well in his book “The Thunder of the Passing” c2003. The following is how those at Rico, Ouray County read about it in their “Dolores News” on April 30, 1881 Page 2:
“TERRIBLE RAILROAD ACCIDENT - A CAR DASHED TWO HUNDERED FEET DOWN A PRECIPICE.”
“Eight Lives Lost, and Seven Seriously if Not Fatally Wounded.
The Denver & Rio Grande railroad which has never before scored a serious accident, has at last added its quota to the lengthening list of railroad disasters. On the 22nd, inst., one car of the west bound train was thrown from the track and the coupling breaking, fell down the side of a precipice in the vicinity of the Toltec gorge, about twenty miles east of Chama. The car struck first about sixty feet below the line of the toad and then rolled over and over one hundred and forty feet further.
Eight persons were killed and seven seriously if not fatally wounded. The list of the killed is as follows:
Mrs.[C.] Dielododt, D. G. Brewer, D. C. Scholes, Jas. Lynch, S.[G. Hall] Hall, B. C. Wilson and two unknown laborers [unk, L Isaacs] . The wounded are: A. L. Dodge, J. H. Clendery, G.[Z.F.] Maxey, George Inman, R. F. Wringley and B. R.[D. R.] Brewer.
When the stage left Chama, no further particulars were obtainable, the train dispatched to the scene of the wreck upon telegraphic orders, not having returned. We are therefore unable to give particulars as to the cause of the accident. [information of the inquest is in Robert Turner’s book]
The lady mentioned we understand, was en route to the bed-side of her husband, now lying at the point of death, at Hermosa. Mr. George Scott, one of the wounded, is believed to be the father of J. D. Scott of this place. [Rico]
The excitement in the town was intense, when it was learned that an accident had occurred, as many citizens were expecting friends and relatives. Both newspapers offices were besieged with anxious enquirers, desirous of seeing the list of killed and wounded. Most of those seeking information, went away relieved, upon finding none of their friends on the black list of the dead and dying; but the tragedy nevertheless shrouded the town with gloom, and every heart swelled with sympathy for those bereft of friends, by a blow which each felt had some so near his own door. Further information is anxiously awaited.”

On the front page of the Dolores News on May 7, 1881 they published the full details as related from the Denver Republican of April 25th: MORE PARTICULARS OF THE RAILROAD ACCIDENT.
The names of the wounded who reached here [Denver] are Z. F. Maxey, G. R. Page and two brothers, D. Rand and A. J. Brewer. Maxey was driven to the Liudell hotel, West Denver, where he had previously boarded, and the other three to the Ladies Relief hospital. Last evening, a reporter called upon Mr. Maxey to obtain his story regarding the accident. He said: The train consisted of only two [passenger] cars-the coach we were in, and a caboose. There were sixteen of up in the coach- fifteen men and a woman, and six men in the caboose, principally railroad men. We were about two miles west of Toltec tunnel, and thirty-two miles from Antonito, and were running along at a speed of about fifteen miles an hour, when suddenly our coach left the track, jumping along from tie to tie for probably two cars length.s Every passenger was instantly upon his feet, and all made a rush for the door, but no one succeeded in getting out. The car at first seemed to be leaning inward toward the mountains, but then suddenly changed and went off the track. Not a passenger said a word, and all looked aghast, and cling to car seats or anything they could reach for support. The coach made a complete revolution. Some of the passengers were rendered insensible. I retained my hold of the car seat. And made and attempt to get out. On the fourth revolution of the car it was struck on the head and rendered unconscious. The next thing I knew I was on the ground, and the car, or what little remained of it, was about fifty feet below me. About five feet below me was a man lying dead, with the car truck on him. To my left was another standing on hi head, between two rocks, his head crushed. To my right was a fellow passenger, very little hurt. Shrickes of the wounded and dying were heard below, but I could not go to them, I was so feint. The train men did everything possible. The engine was sent to Osier, and soon returned with section men and a flat car. Eight of us wounded were placed on the car and taken to Osier. The car then returned and brought in the dead.
Here we remained but a short time, and were then taken to Antonito. We left on a special train at 4 o’clock Saturday afternoon, and reached Denver at 8 this morning. George Inman, who had a leg broken, was left at Fort Garland. The cause of the accident, I think, was a washout, allowing the rails to spread. The car was completely demolished. It must have rolled two hundred feet. The woman was killed but where she was found I do not know.
The reporter also had a conversation with Mr. B. F. Blythe, who was in the caboose. He said: When the coach left the track I jumped from the caboose and saw the coach from the time it started until it struck a tree, about 150 feet below. It was a sight never to be forgotten. Our hearts stood still. We hurried after the car and found five persons dead, and all the rest more or less injured. None escaped.
The following is a list of the killed and wounded:
D. G. Brewer, killed outright
Mrs. C. Dielodolt, died in two hours.
James Lynch, died in one hour.
B. C. Wilson, killed instantly
G. Hall, killed instantly
D. C. Sholes, lived six hours
Z. F. Maxey, Injured spine
L. Isaacs, lived four hours.
George Curran, broken leg
G. R. Page, broken ribs
D. R. Brewer, bruised
A. J. Brewer, badly bruised
A. L. Dodge; slightly injured
The names of the other three are only slightly injured. [R. F. Wingley; George Inman, J. H. Clendery].
The accident was by far the most serious that ever occurred on any Colorado Railroad.
Subject Author Posted

Toltec Gorge Site of D&RG’s Disaster-The D&RG’s First Horrible Accident

John E. Bull April 05, 2009 11:22AM

Re: Toltec Gorge Site of D&RG’s Disaster-The D&RG’s First Horrible Accident

Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Tyler April 05, 2009 12:23PM

tomc April 05, 2009 06:48PM

John E. Bull April 06, 2009 08:01AM

Earl April 06, 2009 01:14PM

Re: Toltec Gorge Site of D&RG’s Disaster-The D&RG’s First Horrible Accident Attachments

ROW Explorer April 06, 2009 09:27PM

Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge Tyler April 07, 2009 06:26AM

John E. Bull April 08, 2009 06:55AM

Earl April 07, 2009 11:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login