Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Semi-Official view of rebuilding the G & Q - WE HAVE NOT A CLUE

February 21, 2009 01:31AM
The question has been asked as to what is the future of the G & Q. I think the real honest answer to the question as to what is going to happen the G & Q is that nobody has a clue much less anyone on the inside like myself.

About three years ago a decision was made to scrap the entire railroad. President Correas then entered the scene and in a presidential decision decided the entire - and he did not define the word entire which may or may not include Quito to Otavalo - railroad was to be rebuilt and in operation by December 2008. Work started - and stopped - and started again - and stopped again - and started again which is about where we are now.

We are now worse off than when the work started because on sections like El Boliche to Latacunga they took up a track which was serviceable, if only barely, and it is now definitely unserviceable hanging in mid air! We were running railcars from Bucay to Huigra in scheduled service. Now it is not even passable. We could run steam engines 53/58 from Riobamba to Sibambe. Now we will be very lucky if the much lighter 17 or 18 can stagger it. We were able to run railcars from Urbina to Mocha but this now is also out due to a landslide.

In my view, and it is personal, it will be rebuilt probably about late 2010.

A little history might be of interest and I hope I do not sound communist but reality has to be faced. Ecuador Oil was being sold - or donated, depending on how you look at it - literally free, to the U.S. and Correas decided Ecuador should be paid for its oil and the money ploughed into infrastructure for the country and benefits for the people. Naturally Bush labelled him a communist - along with Chavez and Morales - as he was so obviously communist with his anti-american notion that the people of Ecuador shoúld benefit from their own resources rather than donating the proceeds to rich American Oil Companies.

My personal view from watching it on the ground is that Correas is very genuine about caring for his people and will do what he can to achieve his aims of improving their lot, with one important proviso which is that he does not get assassinated by the CIA, which of course is extremely unlikely as they are such a nice bunch of people and would not hurt a fly!

There was to be an inauguration last year but nobody told the President that the line was not even in position when he was to inaugurate the first train. It was the emperors new clothes to perfection. He fired the management. The next thing was another inauguration which was not very successful either, as while one train got through from Latacunga and a few from El Boliche, that was about as much as happened. We now seem to have another new management - wonder why? - who are trying to figure out what to do next and nobody has a clue what will come out of it.

My own personal guess is that Quito to El Boliche will be available shortly and El Boliche to Latacunga possibly by September. Bucay to Huigra will follow by summer 2010 with just possibly Huigra to Sibamabe. 2010 could see Mocha to Ambato and Yaguachi to Bucay but this could run to 2011. Tour operators please note my comments.

I believe Correas is genuinely sincere in his desire to rebuild the railway and better his people but Guayaquil to Quito will be passenger only. If, and it is a big if, freight is to return it will probably be San Lorenzo to Quito. The Devils Nose is almost impossible to work with freight. It is worth noting that the Quito to San Lorenzo line is gauged to take containers whereas Guayaquil to Quito is not.

But a passenger railway does have a role to play in transport in a country where cars are relatively rare there is a vast market which will use it, and of course a huge tourist market as the trips can match in scenery anywhere in the world.

I think Correas is right, I think he will achieve his aims but maybe not as fast as he would like. I certainly support him.

I hope this summary is of interest to those who have asked questions and if anyone ever wants further information I can be reached at michael.grimes @hotmail.com.

Michael Grimes
Subject Author Posted

Semi-Official view of rebuilding the G & Q - WE HAVE NOT A CLUE

KellsMuseum February 21, 2009 01:31AM

Re: Semi-Official view of rebuilding the G & Q - WE HAVE NOT A CLUE

Ron Keagle February 21, 2009 07:51AM

KellsMuseum February 21, 2009 09:28AM

John West February 21, 2009 11:10AM

hank February 21, 2009 01:02PM

Ron Keagle February 21, 2009 11:31AM

Yep, thats what happened - They kicked them out!

KellsMuseum February 21, 2009 02:59PM

Re: Yep, thats what happened - They kicked them out!

John West February 21, 2009 09:07PM

DWBrown February 21, 2009 12:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login